Turbomax boiler leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vaillant TurboMax with a slow leak inside the combustion box at the union of the right hand side of the main heat exchanger. The leak is small as the pressure drops very, very slowly (I only found out about it by seeing water marks). There is evidence of limescale on the flood of the combustion chamber and some evidence of water seeping out along the bottom right hand edge of the combustion chamber. The wall of the chamber is folded over at the bottom by about 1cm and rivetted to the base plate, so water has seeped (very slowly) between the two bits of metal along this side, between the rivets. There is some rusty marking along the wall-floor join on the outside.

My RGI says the rules are that this means that gas can escape from the combustion (since water can and he says that there is a positive pressure in the combustion chamber) and therefore the boiler should be condemned and replaced. Is that reasonable?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
which Turbomax? post a pic of the control panel so we can see what you have

The model is: TurboMax Plus 824E / TurboMAX VUW GB 242/2-5 R3

Attachments

• pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 244
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your comment. Here is a photo of the seam between the wall and the floor of the combustion chamber. There are signs of rust meaning leakage but to me, hard to believe that this could be a significant route for combustion gases and carbon monoxide to leak out (nothing showing on the CO monitor/alarm...), specially if the combustion chamber is under negative pressure?

pics of right hand side and seam area attached. As you can see, the area inside has not been cleaned at all.

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 273
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 258
Well I hate disagreeing with any engineer that has actually seen the job, but it is a negative pressure combustion chamber, the boiler needs a good service but I wouldnt advise a new boiler on that evidence

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Many thanks for all your comments. I will post back on the eventual outcome.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I think there’s one or two engineers on here that are based in Oxford, whether or not they can help you out?

It's quite common for those joints to weep. New o ring & possibly retaining clip (if corroded).
Good boiler, keep it as long as possible.
Better than Ecotec's.

Thanks to Dangee for the comment. I would like to keep to boiler for a while longer - it has done good service. And I see that I can get a pack of 10 "O" rings for £10...

Thanks to Dangee for the comment. I would like to keep to boiler for a while longer - it has done good service. And I see that I can get a pack of 10 "O" rings for £10...

There’s various sizes, make sure you get the correct ones :D

Following comments made on this thread I got another engineer to look at the boiler. Suffice to say that is has been inspected, maintained and is now up and running. Will ensure I don't miss an annual inspection again! Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back