Baxi combo instant 105e - heat exchanger pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just come home from a few days away to find water in the boiler cupboard.
The boiler was off while we were away.
After a bit of investigating I found that the tray beneath the combustion chamber was wet. Both pipes to the heat exchanger had water on them.
Looks like there might be leaks from both sides of the exchanger.
There is some evidence that the joints have been looked at before.
This boiler is at least ten years old.

First
Is this a DIY job or do I need a qualified fitter.
I'm in Leeds so any recommendations for someone near me would be good.

Second
Does this sound like a new heat exchanger is needed?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You do not need a new heat exchanger but will need a heating engineer who does repairs instead of changing parts.

O rings are distorted, so need replacing. Will be leaking at pump connections too.

Good idea to get the boiler serviced as per the manual (NO LESS) and other repairs done at the same time.

It's the heat exchanger at the top, part no. 248017. looks like they cost £150

If it's O rings that sounds like it shouldn't cost too much.

Sponsored Links
youre in for a shock, relatively speaking. i priced a 105 plate exchanger in the week, which has 4 o rings. the guy wanted £5 for each o ring. not a great deal of money but £20 for 4 bits of rubber

As DP has stated above. You will need the 2 main heat exchanger o rings replaced and also 3no o rings around pump manifold replaced.
Common leaking areas on these.
If the heat ex is removed then a Rgi is reqd as combustion will be affected.

Yeah I've been here before with diaphragms and O rings more expensive than I expected but once they were in they were perfect so very much worth it.

Oh for anyone who is interested I was in Barcelona and had my pocket picked. If you're thinking of going don't carry too much cash around.

Anyway how do I find a good baxi boiler repairer in Leeds.
If anyone has had one out recently I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks brassedoff.
I replaced the O rings on the pump manifold a little while back, DIY job for me.
And the dhw diaphragm prior to that.
Looks like all of the rubber seals are on their way out.
Any others I might need to look at?

I did originally insert a ring on the actual collar but had difficulty fitting the clips back on??
I took the HE out and looked inside & could see a perished Rubber O ring.
I replaced this with a standard 17mm x 2.5mm O ring purchased from local garage for 30p each.
I put a little bit of sealant compond around collar/joint..
JOB DONE....SEEMS OK??
Any other comments or suggestions on my repair ???
Thanx Guyz

youre in for a shock, relatively speaking. i priced a 105 plate exchanger in the week, which has 4 o rings. the guy wanted £5 for each o ring. not a great deal of money but £20 for 4 bits of rubber

Instead of getting the baxi/pott ones, get chaffoteux ones for the brittony combi. Same o-rings, half the price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back