Comments on these roofs please

Apparently this bloke doesn't drive, he uses buses :eek::eek::eek:
He was recommended by a few people on local forum, probably fake accounts setup by himself.
He has full name and address on his quote and a quick search confirms that he lives there.
His website shows some fantastic roof work with lots of pictures.
Surely not his work.
Even if the reviews and recommendations are genuine, they should only form one part of choosing a tradesperson. One persons good job might not be a good job to you, it's all subjective. Having said that, I trust reviews on sites like (council run) trusted trader more than I do Google reviews etc. If your friend has gone with him because he was cheap, that's fully understandable especially in current times. However these folk are 9/10 usually cheap for a very good reason.

Sponsored Links
Even if the reviews and recommendations are genuine, they should only form one part of choosing a tradesperson. One persons good job might not be a good job to you, it's all subjective. Having said that, I trust reviews on sites like (council run) trusted trader more than I do Google reviews etc. If your friend has gone with him because he was cheap, that's fully understandable especially in current times. However these folk are 9/10 usually cheap for a very good reason.
£10k for refelting 2 roofs is not what I would call "cheap".
They reboarded the extension roof and put down one layer of felt.
They didn't do anything to the dormer roof apart from sticking leftover piecies of felt onto the existing felt.
Roofs were not leaking before, they do now.

£10k for refelting 2 roofs is not what I would call "cheap".
They reboarded the extension roof and put down one layer of felt.
They didn't do anything to the dormer roof apart from sticking leftover piecies of felt onto the existing felt.
Roofs were not leaking before, they do now.
Good point tbh, wasn't thinking about the cost when I typed my post. It's unfortunate your friend's now spoken with two other roofers, if she'd got two or three quotes at the outset she might have realised the guy she went with wasn't the ideal choice.

Police are useless.
Actually not true.
Where they can't put them in cuffs , they can scare them off.
I've seen this happen with an old couple not far from here.
The police actually called me to confirm the work carried out was not as it should be .
When the guy came back to take the rest of the money they were waiting in the car outside .
The guy got a bit huffy and left .

I don't post anything I don't know ..

Sponsored Links
Police officers waiting in a car for someone to scare off.
This is only a dream, at least here in London.
BTW, the weasel didn't show up, so I tried to phone him and he didn't answer.
Then I texted him asking if he was still coming because I had things to do and couldn't wait all day.
He must've thought I was another victim because he replied: "Sorry Mary, I have covid so it's not safe for me to start today. I let you know when I'm better"
I didn't think that he doesn't know me :rolleyes:

Loved the part where roofing felt is lapped halfway up the rain facing surface of the ridge tiles. Must have siliconed that down well for an extra-waterproof seal..

Loved the part where roofing felt is lapped halfway up the rain facing surface of the ridge tiles. Must have siliconed that down well for an extra-waterproof seal..
Yes, the cowboy thought nobody would go up there and look at it.
That's why he was pressing to get paid as soon as he came down the ladder.
How the hell some people sleep at night???

How the hell some people sleep at night???
If we work on the premise that people are generally good, it seems we must also work on the basis that the incompetent genuinely believe they're otherwise..

Ended up in court with a builder over a roofing job about 15 years ago. They'd made a litany of basic errors but I think the prime example was skipping on installing a bonding gutter and instead using silicone, poorly applied, to "seal" the new Marley Modern tiles to the neighbouring rosemaries

F'kinell. They should be tracked down and strapped to a post on the village green.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back