Commercial Boiler fitted in a house?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A year ago I was a on job (not a plumber by trade by the way) and managed to pick up an almost new Vaillant 46KW Ecotech system boiler for a couple of hundred quid as they are pretty expensive to buy brand new, thought I could make a few bob seliing it on. Anyways, I am now planning on upgrading my aged heating system from a combi to a unvented.

I have this boiler gathering dust so was thinking if I could possible install this beast of a boiler in my 5 bedroom mid terraced house :eek: ..i undertsand it is a total overkill as this boiler was previously used in a 12 bedroomed nursing home and was only installed for a few months before the place got demolished ..are there any major concerns in doing this or should I just got a normal sized boiler suitable for my needs?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You'll need to buy an expensive pump to make it work. The flues are bigger than normal and the poor thing will spend most of its time switching on and of reducing it's working life.

Also your installer will need a commercial ticket to register it with gas safe and wouldn't warranty it even if it wasn't "acquired".

Your House almost certainly only needs 24kW TOPS.

46 kilowatt is well within what a domestic gas meter can handle. I put in a 40 kilowatt combi, which are now quite common. I would keep it and fit a low loss header. The header will ensure a constant flow through the boiler. See my post on the thread "Atmos or Intergas". It will heat up the cylinder in no time at all. The flow switches on each heating zone will switch it out when the house is up to temperature. It will need a 28mm copper gas pipe.

There is no law that states a "commercial" boiler cannot be fitted anywhere. I read that commercial only kicks in after 50 kilowatt. I checked this.

So I was 20 out :). But this 43 kilowatt boiler is not a commercial job for sure, and it is heating a pretty large house, so will heat it up very quickly

46 kilowatt is well within what a domestic gas meter can handle. I put in a 40 kilowatt combi, which are now quite common. I would keep it and fit a low loss header. The header will ensure a constant flow through the boiler. See my post on the thread "Atmos or Intergas". It will heat up the cylinder in no time at all. The flow switches on each heating zone will switch it out when the house is up to temperature. It will need a 28mm copper gas pipe.

There is no law that states a "commercial" boiler cannot be fitted anywhere. I read that commercial only kicks in after 50 kilowatt. I checked this.

I would politely suggest you stop spouting bollocks.

Commercial is 70kW unless the manufacturer says otherwise. Which Vaillant do with the ecoTEC.

I suggest you read up on boiler sizing and minimum outputs before commenting further.

I have read you Atmos thread......

See my comment above ;).

A year ago I was a on job (not a plumber by trade by the way) and managed to pick up an almost new Vaillant 46KW Ecotech system boiler for a couple of hundred quid as they are pretty expensive to buy brand new, thought I could make a few bob seliing it on. Anyways, I am now planning on upgrading my aged heating system from a combi to a unvented.

I have this boiler gathering dust so was thinking if I could possible install this beast of a boiler in my 5 bedroom mid terraced house :eek: ..i undertsand it is a total overkill as this boiler was previously used in a 12 bedroomed nursing home and was only installed for a few months before the place got demolished ..are there any major concerns in doing this or should I just got a normal sized boiler suitable for my needs?
:eek: I'd take Dans advice. Presumably, you've understood what gas pipework will be required to keep that beast fed? God knows what Alexcrap is on about. "so I was 20 out". :eek:

if it can ever dissipate the 45 kws.... highly unlikely, unless there are about 35 radiators..

coils in cylinders are only rated at 20kws...

A big 2000 gallon buffer would dissipate enough energy to stop it cycling. :idea:

Might not be a good idea to set it on the joists. :LOL:

I'd take Dans advice.
Which was bo11ocks !! (his terminology) I just looked up the boiler specifications. The boiler can go as low as 12.3 kilowatts. It is perfectly suitable for a 5 bedroom house. This boiler is perfectly suitable for a house like that. Use a low loss header and it will have a constant flow through the boiler at all times. You will not need to buy an expensive pump to make it work. Use a pump to give the minimum flow required through the boiler. It is only 43 kilowatts, just a bit bigger than many combis. It is not a commercial sized boiler despite what Vaillant state.

To the OP please use some common sense and not go by off the cuff comments by someone who may be on the wind up. Your boiler can go as low as 12.3 kilowatts which is about right for your house. Do the heat loss calcs. You can ditch a perfectly good boiler if you like. That is your choice as it is your money. I would keep it as you got a new boiler for peanuts.

Vaillant may call it commercial - I don't know why, but probably to hype up the selling price. Gasafe say only those over 70 kilowatts are commercial.

http://www.vaillantcommercial.co.uk/products/ecotec-46-65-kw-output-wall-hung-condensing-boilers/

Someone was one about a large buffer to absorb the full 43 kilowatts. Isn't that a thermal store? That would replace the planned unvented cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back