Commercial grill trips rcd? Help Needed please..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I've just bought a 2nd hand dual plate commercial grill.

One of these: https://veloxgrills.com/images/grills/CG2S-up-R.jpg

Each grill has a separate 240v mains plug and they both work when powered on separately. However when I turn them both on they trip the RCD at my home.

The seller has mentioned that they need a 30A supply ie go into a cooker switch. Does that sound right or is the unit faulty?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it is an RCD which is tripping rather than an MCB due to over-load?

If it is an RCD, it could be that leakage on one is not enough to trip the RCD, but both on together is enough.

The maximum current or wattage demand, should be shown on a rating label on the appliance - what does it say?

Hello mate and many thanks for the input. This is what it is tripping and here is the plate from the back...

Many thanks :)

IMG_7032.JPG
IMG_7030 2.JPG
IMG_7031.JPG

When you plug both in together, what and where exactly are you plugging them in? You have 2 circuits marked "Oven" and 1 marked "Kitchen Sockets" on the left RCD (14,15,16), and another marked "Kitchen" on the right RCD (3). You should be plugging both into circuits that are on the same RCD.

Sponsored Links
RCD then!

Which suggests this is the issue - "If it is an RCD, it could be that leakage on one is not enough to trip the RCD, but both on together is enough."

You have some leakage on each side of the unit, but neither used alone is enough to cause the 30mA RCD to trip. However both on exceed the 30mA so it trips. Likely the caused will be the heating elements are failing and leaking current to earth. It could just be as simple as moisture having got in the elements from it being stored for a while in a damp location. Simply using it one side at a time might drive the moisture out and enable you to run both at the same time, equally it could be the elements failing/ being worn out.

When you plug both in together, what and where exactly are you plugging them in? You have 2 circuits marked "Oven" and 1 marked "Kitchen Sockets" on the left RCD (14,15,16), and another marked "Kitchen" on the right RCD (3). You should be plugging both into circuits that are on the same RCD.

Hi there I was plugging them into standard sockets in my kitchen as my ovens are hard wired and not the plugin type.

RCD then!

Which suggests this is the issue - "If it is an RCD, it could be that leakage on one is not enough to trip the RCD, but both on together is enough."

You have some leakage on each side of the unit, but neither used alone is enough to cause the 30mA RCD to trip. However both on exceed the 30mA so it trips. Likely the caused will be the heating elements are failing and leaking current to earth. It could just be as simple as moisture having got in the elements from it being stored for a while in a damp location. Simply using it one side at a time might drive the moisture out and enable you to run both at the same time, equally it could be the elements failing/ being worn out.

Okay thank you, electrics isn't really my thing but if each unit runs fine independently without any issues is the cause that I'm not plugging into the correct 30amp supply sockets?

Ca
Okay thank you, electrics isn't really my thing but if each unit runs fine independently without any issues is the cause that I'm not plugging into the correct 30amp supply sockets?

Possibly, but to confirm that - Have you one double/ twin socket, into which you can try plugging both sides of that unit? Then let us know is the RCD trips. It looks as the entire unit is rated at 22amps, which is the limit on the load a twin 13amp socket is designed for.

I haven't unfortunately but will track one down and double check.

Appreciate the help gents :)

What we should do and what we actually do is not the same, I should put a clamp on meter on the RCD and ensure the leakage is not over 9 mA, I have never done it, mainly as I don't have a clamp on meter that can measure 9 mA lowest mine will measure is 100 mA, although with DC you can say ohm law 230/0.009 = 25 kΩ so I can use a insulation tester which I do have and if 1 MΩ I am fine, we are actually using AC so that does not really work, so with 8 and 5 MCB's on each RCD you have no idea how near the edge you are.

Since one will work OK it may be just a little damp and leaving each on for some time may dry it out enough to work, but unless you can measure and say to seller it is out of spec there's not much you can do. I suspect it is leaking too much, but you need to show it is the device and not the installation.

Though sometimes, the actual problem is elsewhere, sometimes Neutral to Earth fault on another circuit and the high load current of an appliance causes the Rcd to trip.
We used to get faults in pubs, where all was fine until the higher loads of the Celler cooling or chillers cut in, tripping the Rcd, but often the appliances were not at fault.
Only recently had a Rcd main switch going off when oven or washine machine used, turned out by "Meggaring" every circuit to be a screw through a lighting cable shorting Neutral to Earth, caused by a friend of theres screwing up a lighting ceiling rose.

My money is on failing elements.

But I'll just throw it out there; the RCD is rated 63A and it has three B32s plus the rest. Could there be a risk of overloading the RCD?

Oh, and lovely to see a well labelled CU. :)

Although there's not been movement on this thread since 2020, I thought I'd add my experience in case it helps others in a similar situation:

Bought a brand-new Tefal Optigrill, plugged it in for the first time to burn off the 'dust', warmed up perfectly. Next day tried to cook something, tripped RCD. Tried other sockets in the house, same result.

After discussing with an electrician at work, I decided to check the distribution board consumer unit. Checked the tightness of ALL screws, found a LOT of them wanting (i.e. looser than I would have expected). After tightening them with a fully-insulated (VDE rated) screwdriver , the grill works PERFECTLY without tripping the RCD. :D

Note that if you're going to do this yourself, PLEASE SWITCH OFF THE POWER before starting, or call a qualified electrician.
(I am classed as a Competent Person [Electrical] at work and therefore understand what's going on!)

Edit: terms!

Last edited:
After discussing with an electrician at work, I decided to check the distribution board. Checked the tightness of ALL screws, found a LOT of them wanting (i.e. looser than I would have expected). After tightening them with a fully-insulated screwdriver (VDE rated), the grill works PERFECTLY without tripping the RCD. :D

A more likely explanation is that since leaving the factory, the grill absorbed some moisture and your 'burning the dust off', dried things out nicely. Well done on tightening the terms though.

Ca

Possibly, but to confirm that - Have you one double/ twin socket, into which you can try plugging both sides of that unit? Then let us know is the RCD trips. It looks as the entire unit is rated at 22amps, which is the limit on the load a twin 13amp socket is designed for.

Not being 'pernickety' but is it not 20A for a dual socket? I'll update my head if I was wrong.

Thanks in advance, Dan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back