Commercial Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a Domestic Spark so would appreciate a little advice from a commercial spark out there...

If adding x2 extra sockets in a office kitchen, do these sockets need RCD protection?
What if they are labelled for kitchen appliances only?
If putting existing circuit on RCBO wouldnt this create a problem with tripping if they have a number of computers plugged into the circuit?

I know all sockets should be RCD protected unless for specific use - ie freezer - so wouldnt labelling up freezer only and kettle only solve problem?

Comments are appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Are the existing kitchen sockets on the same circuit as the office sockets?

How big a premisis are we talking about here?

You need to be careful if you are working on circuits which have been designed for equipment with high protective conductor currents to ensure that all the requirements of section 543.7 of BS7671 are still complied with.

Couldn't you just provide two new sockets on their own RCBO protected radial circuit?

I certainly wouldn't be happy providing non-RCD protected sockets in that sort of environment.

The premises are small but it may be difficult to get feed back to DB for their own circuit as would need to go through concrete floors back to DB. The idea of RCD sockets in conduit may be only option.

Sponsored Links
They were wanting them to be flush but wont be able to without RCD protection to cables so they'll have to have them surface mounted i'm affriad

You can use earthed steel tube and flush mount them without the need to RCD protect the wiring

Are you sure there's no route back to a local dist. board?

Going to have to have better look next week, looked pretty hard getting back to DB when popped head in yesterday - only doing as favour really normally only do domestic stuff. The DB MCBs are Moeller is there another brand that'll fit the DB as think may have prob getting hold of that type of RCBO?

Thanks for help!

Depending on what load you are intending to draw from these extra sockets you could always install an RCD fused Spur at the point you intend to break into the existing ring. This would enable you two fit flush sockets and cableing. You would however be limited to 13A supply

I think contactum fit moeller, reason being in CEF about 7/8 years ago they had a moeller board and it was identical to the contactum one.

1) 411.3.3 applies just as much to office kitchens as it does to domestic ones.

2) IMO exception (b) is to be used when it's needed for particular equipment - it doesn't mean you can stick any labels you like on any sockets you like so that you don't have to have them on an RCD.

The previouse sparks managed to get from the DB so time to be an electrician find the route useally the DB is mounted near main Ducting between any floors to accomadate the risers
rcbo if on a seperate circuit or if a ring nearby ie existing Kitchen sockets if they are rcd protected use that circuit check prospective load ok first ie existing and proposed

another thought if the computers are on the same circuit best to sell them on the idea of seperating the circuits to stop any faults such as faulty Kitchen appliances causing loss of computer time. turn it to your advantage sell sell and also comply with BS7671 protect your customer and their business :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back