Non RCD circuit for Freezers poser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A customer requires a new kitchen extension wiring, nothing out of the ordinary - 4 double socket outlets, FCU for extractor, luminairs thats about it - other than as its a commercial kitchen, they require two freezers to be connected but not protected by RCD for obvious reasons.

Its a ground floor kitchen so the sockets might reasonably be expected to be used for equipment outdoors.

I intend to install a dedicated radial to serve the two freezers permanently connected via two fcu's and a ring final for the sockets on the RCD side.

Hypothetically, If I were only installing one circuit for the sockets and freezers and didnt put it on an RCD, could I label the "non freezer" sockets to say "not for outdoor use" and stay within regs ?

Or any other ideas, other than fitting rcd type sockets on non freezer points (expensive)

Sponsored Links
BS7671 says that RCD protection is required for sockets reasonably expected to supply portable equipment outside - a warning label on the socket could be taken to mean that the socket is now NOT reasonably expected to supply outdoor appliances, but I would never trust a label. Labels get removed, some people are ignorant morons who would just ignore it, some people are blind and wouldn't even see the label, young children might not understand the warning etc. etc. etc.

putting the sockets behind heavy kitchen appliances seems like a pretty effective way to stop them being used to supplly outdoor kit.

Use an FCU feeding a round pin 15 amp socket for the freezer.

Prevents anyone using the socket and leaving the freezer unplugged.

( such as a cleaner using the socket for a vaccum cleaner )

Sponsored Links
if it's a comercial kitchen then 16A blue 240V plugs are the way to go.. more waterproof than a standard plug...

use a 13A FCU at high level to fuse down if needed or run seperate circuits...

comercial freezers might also have a higher power requirement than a domestic one..

Although not a requirement (yet) I would still like to see the rest of sockets on an RCD and label the two sockets for the freezers as not suitable for supplying equipment outdoors on their own circuit (non - rcd)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back