Freezer circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am shortly having an extension to my kitchen. I would like to have a separate circuit for freezers without RCD. As I have no spare ways in my CU (this is split rail with RCD and RCBOs so all protected) I am thinking of an additional small CU for the freezers. ( I have an iso switch and Henley block with spare terminals) The question is: am I allowed to have sockets not RCD protected, or, if not can I use a 100ma RCD for the freezer circuit. Each freezer will have its own FCU so sockets could be other than standard 13amp.
No doubt I will be told that the work is notifiable. I know. If my builders sparky is part P certified, then he will advose and do the work. However, if he is not, I will notify and do the work myself. (I am competent having worked safely with electrics for years but now retired so not worth registering)

Sponsored Links
maltaron,
you can have circuit without RCD protection, certain guidelines need to be complied to but it is possible.
A freezer could well be an ideal non rcd protected circuit as it will prevent your goods from thawing if the rcd does trip and your away.
The socket will need to be identified for freezer use only.
If you employ an electrician they will inform you of the regulations and EIC and schedules required as it is a new circuit so notifiable if diying.

You need to use Ali-Tube cable to BS 8436 Guardian, Earthshield, Flexishield, or Afumex these cables can be buried in a wall without RCD protection. The socket has to have a specific labelled or otherwise suitably identified socket-outlet provided for connection of a particular item of equipment.

The other method is to use an automatic resetting RCD
as already said new circuits from the consumer units, the consumer unit it's self and kitchens are all in the notifiable list.

Of course a third method would be to use a UPS.

The Auto-resetting RCD is on expensive side around £230 as would a UPS big enough to run freezer so special cable and no RCD is likely cheapest method. Insurance may help but normally an excess and OK when sure everything is ruined but when it has been off for 4 hours you have no real way to know if things did defrost or not.

run a 24hr mechanical timer in the socket next to it.. ( put in a double.. ) that way you'll see what time it went off, or if it was a power cut, how long it's been off for ( assuming it's not the fuse in the freezer plug itself, in which case you're stuffed anyway ;) )

Sponsored Links
You can either surface mount the socket, or use a bit of steel conduit if it is flush to negate the need for an RCD.

The socket must be clearly marked that it is for freezer use only. You could use a non standard socket if you wanted to be sure.

If you are considering an emergency light ( the type that come on automatically on battery when there is a power cut ) then plug it into the same supply as the freezer. That will tell you if there is a power failure to the freezer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back