Commercial unit needs seperate meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a small industrial unit and at the last minute have just been informed that I will need to have a separate electricity meter installed at my own cost.

It's taken me by surprise, the unit has a power supply and fuse board bit it seems hat this is metered in another unit.

I thought initially that this woud be just a case of putting a meter by the fuseboard but obviously this electricity has already been metered, I don't really want a sub meter.

Is it going to be the case that a whole new supply will need to provided ie digging up the carpark and locating the electric main to run new cabling to the unit? Or can the original supply be piggybacked and a new meter fitted alongside the original one (I have no idea where the other meter is or what rating the cabling is that supplies the unit I want to buy)

Lastly any idea of costings for this?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
It's taken me by surprise, the unit has a power supply and fuse board bit it seems hat this is metered in another unit.
How do you know that the supply to just that unit is already metered?

I thought initially that this woud be just a case of putting a meter by the fuseboard but obviously this electricity has already been metered,

I don't really want a sub meter.
OK - tell the person who pays for the electricity metered upstream of the unit that you'll be happy to pay for all of it, no matter where it's used.

Is it going to be the case that a whole new supply will need to provided ie digging up the carpark and locating the electric main to run new cabling to the unit?
Did they say you'd need to arrange a new supply?

Or just a meter?

Or can the original supply be piggybacked and a new meter fitted alongside the original one

I have no idea where the other meter is
But you do know that there is one. Have they shown you photos, or something?

or what rating the cabling is that supplies the unit I want to buy
But you do know that it's adequate for what you want to do in the unit?

Lastly any idea of costings for this?
Probably about the same as a second-hand car.

Ok,

I'm presuming the supply is already metered, and I'm also presuming that someone is paying for the electricity used.

I've re read the email I was sent, it just says installation of a meter.

Sponsored Links
I'm presuming the supply is already metered, and I'm also presuming that someone is paying for the electricity used.
Yes, but already metered on a per-unit basis? Why are you assuming that?

I've re read the email I was sent, it just says installation of a meter.
Do they say what sort of meter? Or who is to install it? Or who is to certify its accuracy? Or who is going to read it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back