Common Line

T

timmyquick

Hi now this is not the best place for auto electrics but im out of ideas where to turn to. I bought a central locking kit with alarm however i am struggling with the alarm connections to the central locking all you get is one odd looking schematic. Any how, what do you suppose is meant to be the common line on the central locking unit, i have 2 wires which need to be connected to the common line, however i do not know what is meant by common line. i may have to scan the schematic on the web in the hope one off you guys can help.

Regards
Timmyquick

Sponsored Links
this is likely to be more electronics. I would have thought one would go to a 12volt supply and the other to ground. But certainly dont bank on it, im no expert.

Not certain,but a common line is normally a feed that is used by more than one function - i.e. in the top one of the bottom diagrams (does that make sense ?) the "common" would be needed for both the "up" and "down" functions (like a power feed that can be selected to operate either direction)

Sponsored Links
The commonwire would be like the -ve part of the circuit - it makes half the circuit, and is common to both circuits - kinda like if you had two bulbs in paralell, but switched the +ves.
An example:

Up is +6v
Down is -6v
and common is 0v
(these aren't real numbers, just an exapmle)

so to make it unlock, you connect the +ve end to the common and to lockthe -ve is connected.

Clear as mud? It should be...

Dan

Back