Compacting hardcore on wet ground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I’ve dug down and I’m ready for laying weed membrane fabric followed by hardcore (100mm compacted depth)

I’m hoping to do it next weekend but it’s due to rain tomorrow,Tuesday and Friday

Is it worth waiting for better weather?
I’ll be hiring a plate compactor

Edit: I’m laying Indian sandstone paving

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I presume you mean MOT?. Nothing better than wet subsoil with a membrane on top for really wacking that MOT down to. I'd do it in 2 x 50mm layers.

Yes MOT type 1

I assume that means don’t do it? I’m concerned if my delivery of MOT type 1 gets wet and I also have puddles in my subsoil it’ll be a messy job?

If there are puddles in the sub soil before you start, don't do it. The vibration of the whacker plate will bring more water to the surface and you will end up with a muddy mess. A waterlogged sub base will cause problems down the line. Better to hang on for a week rather than risk it IMO.

Sponsored Links
If there are puddles in the sub soil before you start, don't do it. The vibration of the whacker plate will bring more water to the surface and you will end up with a muddy mess. A waterlogged sub base will cause problems down the line. Better to hang on for a week rather than risk it IMO.
Cheers

Once compacted a few times would I be ok to leave it until mid March to lay the patio?

Rain on sub base doesn’t matter so long as it’s been compacted in suitable conditions (dry) before it gets rain on it? Is this right?

In theory, yes, that would be ok provided the material is compacted properly. However, if the sub soil is saturated you may find the material won't compact peroperly. If you walk on the sub base once laid and there is any kind of give in it, there will be problems down the line. I have walked many sub bases after being compacted in these situations and the base would actually move a bit like a water bed when walked on.

Ok thanks. Maybe I’ll wait until the spring to lay the hardcore then .. to be safe!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back