Complete beginner needing advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just joined this site as I am a complete decorating novice and need some advice. I am about to start decorating the master bedroom in my house and I am doing a feature wall in black with a kind of dark grey textured design on it.

My problem is I am unsure of what colour to put on the other walls? I was thinking of doing white so that the two will be in huge contrast to each other but don't know if this will make the room look a bit non-descript.

Any ideas or opinions on the choice before I go ahead and try it?

Thanks,
Zoe

Sponsored Links
Sounds bit goth to me which is a style on its own...so i wouldnt worry too much about it being non descript.

Anything will go with black, as it will with white, it just depends on your personal taste

You could pick up on a lighter version of the dark grey your going to use in the textured effect and try that

You could use a pinky colour it you want the room to be warm and cosy...or a green if you want a fresher feel to it

One of the first things you should do when picking colours for a room is decide what you want out of that room in the first place...thats why certain colours look better than others in certain environments...

I do quite like the goth style but I would like the room to be calming so will test a few colours first.

It did cross my mind to try the light grey on the walls so will look at that. Thanks for advice.

Zoe

i would definatly go with white so as not to close the room in too much, bearing in mind it won`t stay brilliant white if you smoke or have kids etc etc, another good feature is on the black wall about 6 to 12 inchs in from the corner paint a vertical white line, and on the white wall with the same measurement paint a black line a mate of mine did and it looks really funky, you can change the blandness of the white walls with some gothic style paintings or pictures, to get the line straight as long as the walls are level, take regular measurements from the corner all the way down the wall, and with a pencil and ruler join them up and just mask up down the line, i`d advise painting the line with a radiator roller, the small type, don`t paint with brushes as you won`t get a good finish.....

Sponsored Links
Hi Lee,

I am doing the black wall in wallpaper and had the idea of putting two strips of wallpaper down the opposite white wall as you suggested. Because it is wallpaper it should still look ok do you think?

I have seen something similar done in a home magazine in a dining room once but with much lighter colour.

Good idea using a couple of strips of paper...but instead of two identical sized lines why dont you run a blade down the edges and make a wavy curved line...and remember, it doesnt have to be hung vertical...diagonal could be striking, horizontal will be calming

hey zoe, i think the wall paper strips would be ok, but i would go with vertical, but this is just my preference....happy paper hanging, let us know how you get on, and maybe zampa`s idea of a wavy line would be a good one if you can`t get the lines straight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back