Complete beginner with lots of faith!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay here goes. Mid life crisis project about to be started so would welcome some help!

I want to build a summer house, approx 2.4m x 4.8m. Planned on building stud walls using 3”x2” timber. That is not the complicated part right?!

Roof is going to be very slightly pitched (about 15 degrees). Roof trusses every 600 mm with and 18mm roof of exterior ply. Roofing to be felt shingles.

1) Do I need to underlay under the ply with a membrane or will nails make all this pointless?
2) Do the felt shingles go straight onto ply or would you advise cheap roofing felt to start with?
3) Stud walls to be 400mm to 600mm apart? Would you recommend rock wool insulation. Exterior would be tongue and groove cladding, internal 9mm ply. Do I need any kind of waterproofing membrane anywhere?
4) Floor to be 12-18mm ply and then some nicer wood flooring.
5) What’s the feeling re stud wall, screws or angled nails?

All a piece of cake or am I deluded.

Thanks all, if I don't build this then I have to take the motorbike route to chill my mid life crisis. Summer house preferable as I am born to be mild.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back