Shiplap roof advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I built a shed a few years back with the roof out of shiplap . The job looked good when I finnished , but is now deteriorating - shrinkage , wrong thickness timber ..
I'd ply and felt it .. But wife - being the arty type - insists on shilap .. Anyhow in going to use 7" 20mm thick , pay more attention to the overlap and fixing and make sure it's pressure treated etc .
My question is this ...
The shed is going to be used as a workshop , so the idea is to use one of these methods
Breathable membrane across rafters then 9mm ply over this then feather edge straight on top ?
Or ply over rafters .. Membrane on ply then featheredge ?
Ply - membrane - batten - featheredge..
The last one feels right , but feels over the top ...
Or am I just over engineering it ..
I would also be redoing the walls with either of these methods .

Should I bother with the ply ? Seeing as I'll be lining inside ?

Also Best ,economical way to seal the ridge line ? Construct timber ridge tiles ? Could someone advise me on construction if these or better alternative.

Many thanks in advance . As any ideas would be greatfull ..

Sponsored Links
I would use osb internally, cheaper and allows fixing shelf etc.
Feather edge board is not ideal for a roof unless it has a fairly steep angle.?
Piece of upturned guttering will seal the ridge line.
If it were mine I would be looking to use EPDM, one piece and hard wearing and water proof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back