complete home rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mornin all

Have got a contractor coming in over the weekend and he's asked me to think about any extra wires I'd like him to run. Such as to future proof I'm assuming

Thus far the list I have come up with is:

CCTV wiring throughout (cover all entry points and side passageway)
Ethernet cabling between router location and upstairs laundry room
Alarm system wiring in all rooms
Extra external power sockets in driveway

Can't think of much else?

It's a 2.5 bed terraced with 2 rooms downstairs and a long kitchen.

Any advice? Anything in particular I should ask him for?
He'll be doing the rest of the wiring incl smoke alarms and extractor fans

First time buyer, house needed gutting and its getting stressful!

Sponsored Links
Can't help but think that maybe a bit OTT.

If its your first house, its unlikely to be your forever house, so save your money.

Ditch the CCTV.

You only need 1 alarm sensor upstairs (on the landing)

I would be worth considering running CAT5/6 cabling to each room from a central point. A network switch would then be installed at this central point, maybe an understairs cupboard?

Can't help but think that maybe a bit OTT.

If its your first house, its unlikely to be your forever house, so save your money.

Ditch the CCTV.

You only need 1 alarm sensor upstairs (on the landing)

We bought it with a view to move on in 4-6 years, renting it thereafter. Only reason I'm considering CCTV is the area has had its spate of burglaries, and even if they're dummy cameras surely they'd be worth it? Plus given we both work, house will be empty most of the day!

With respect to the Ethernet, I considered this too but mostly we use WiFi with everything so was hoping one run to upstairs for a WiFi repeater would suffice?

Sponsored Links
With respect to the Ethernet, I considered this too but mostly we use WiFi with everything so was hoping one run to upstairs for a WiFi repeater would suffice?

Sounds good - it is all down to what network enabled equipment you use. I went with the centralised switch as I wanted equipment with higher bandwidth requirements to be hardwired. I only use WiFi for portable devices. Also, as suggested elsewhere this is my forever house so the investment was worthwhile. I completed the install myself the costs were relatively low.

CCTV wiring throughout (cover all entry points and side passageway)
AFAIK you can run CCTV over Cat6/6a cables, so flood wiring the house with that could serve both needs. Put a few concealed cameras inside, too - may not be a better deterrent but might help catch the scrotes.

Basically do not use wireless unless you have to - if wired is an option, always use it.

Can't think of much else?
There's an excellent article here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:How-many-sockets-and-circuits-should-I-have

But as Andy said - consider the payback period.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back