Complete mess for me to sort out....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

We bought a new house a couple o months ago, and I just thought you'd all like to see what a total mess I've now got to sort out....
I took a good look in the meter cupboard on our first visit, which raisd some eyebrows (well, mine at least!). When I asked the lady who was selling if she'd ever had trouble with the electrics in the house she said "well nothing's ever tripped".
Hmmmmm, wonder why?? :eek:

View media item 8176
Spot the CU?
Cos i can't.

These control the majority of the house.
View media item 8173
and this wonderfully installed bit of SWA powers the shower room...
View media item 8175
The whole house is going to be rewired gradually as it's decorated, just about to start testing :(

Oh' and when I moved in the main earth wasn't actually attached to the MET. God knows how they survived the 11 years they were here.

Sponsored Links
The house wasn't new :rolleyes:

You have eyes, and why you didn't ask (as a condition of sale) for a PIR and remedial work is beyond me.

If you did manage to get a few £1k's knocked off the price, then at least you were covered on some of the cost of rewire.

It's in a shoddy state, but nothing a good days graft could rectify immediately with 1 x CU, correct MET, bonding, tails, isolation etc.

Once the CU's provided you can then work your way through the property room by room.

Have you any sockets in the skirting, bakelite bell light domes or toggle switches ?

Why are there 2 x MCB's on the shower CU (which doesn't have an RCD) ?

Mining area by any chance?

Just a thought. Looks like you're going to enjoy sorthing that lot out.

Any chance of a pic of the inside of one of those silvertips?

Sponsored Links
Chri5, I got a reduction off the price on the strength of it, I always intended to rectify it myself (and yes I am qualified to 2391 and yes it IS notifiable, I know).
sorry that wasn't made clear ;) , just thought I'd post the pics anyway, I didn't expect to get a slapped wrist for it :rolleyes:

Little un is back from nursery, so not gonna be taking pics tonight, got feedin duties! Will put them on tomorrow if I get a chance, if it floats yer boat!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back