Oh deary me!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently I visited a house and noticed a twin socket above a kitchen workshop and it was in the switched on position and had a plug in it - the plug had no top on it so the fuse and all terminals were exposed to touch.
I advised the couple how potentially dangerous the situation was (I did not happen to have a plug or tools on me, unfortunately).
The lady advised me "yes I`ve had a shock off it" .
a few days later, by chance, I saw the lady again and asked if the plug had been replaced " don`t tell me tell him! I`ve had three shocks off it!" despite my explanation of how easily an electric shock becomes electrocution in less than a heartbeat nothing had been done.

Ooh dear!

Reminded me of one other "classic" a few years back - I rewired a ladies house. A few months later she rang me "some upstairs lights flickering".
As I was in the same town I called on my lunchtime break. I noticed the WC batten lampholder I had installed hand been changed to a glass globe lamp. Unscrewd the glass globe, removed wooden base, discovered the three L conductors twisted together and covered with insulation tape. I immediately re-installed the batten lampholder that she had kept. Problem sorted.
I explained how potentially dangerous it was and she said she would tell the bloke that did it.
She rang me that evening "He said he had done hundreds like that!".
I did reply that he should have never ever done any like that.

I suppose I should list these two items along with those other "Old Chestnuts" as I calls them!

Sponsored Links
I remember working on a farm, got a belt off a light switch, farmer said that why I wear a cap, and he flicked it at the switch. But worst was in Hong Kong working on a Robins TBM where the control was 220 volt IT three phase, delta wired, would carry a volt pen as one never knew what would give you a shock, but the money was good.

@ebee, do a good deed and go fix it, you wouldn't want it on your conscience if one of them got fried.

Sponsored Links
@ebee, do a good deed and go fix it, you wouldn't want it on your conscience if one of them got fried.
Indeed, I got to handle this one carefully though, any action I take will be viewed as interference so I have to take steps to make another , totally unrelated visit, and just happen to have a plugtop and a couple of tools on my by coincidence otherwise I will not get thru the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back