Outrageous prices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just had a customer on the dog, asking if I can estimate for three small jobs.

She's just had a PIR done for £149.00

The three things needing work are:

1. skirt missing on bedroom lampholder

2. broken bathroom b/lampholder

3. No supplementary in the bathroom

They wanted 662.63......!!!! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Wait till you see the bathroom! ;)

Can anyone say "boxed in pipes, fit supp. bonding then make good"? :LOL:

Still, sounds like more than I would want to pay for a few twiddly bits I could easily do myself. Thank goodness Part P doesn't apply to cool dudes like me (it's written in the Building Regs, if you look carefully).

I have eyeballed the job today.

Turns out the elderly lady was "led to believe" that the company calling her were from the electricity board.

They agreed to do a PIR for £149.00 inc., and she agreed.

The guy did the PIR, and found a missing skirt on the bedroom lampholder, and batten lampholder in the bathroom hanging. He also found "no bonding" in the bathroom, but removed no panels to check.

He said there was hardly anything wrong, so not to be worried.

Later that day, the lady got a call from the company asking if she could come round and discuss what needs to be done. She duly arrived and wrote an estimate for £662.02, without a single word of explanation in the way of what the customer would be getting for this fee.

She declined, and was immediately told that if she signs up to the deal there and then they would knock 10% off. In fact, this was calculated at a final figure of £560.00 (10% should have been £595.82).

In other words they were playing games with silly figures.

And the saleswoman wrote on the form that the customer had had the "cooling off" period explained to her. She hadn't.

Disgusting. This lady is due to go into hospital for a major operation soon.

Have these companies no morals at all?

Anyhow, I have submitted an altogether more reasonable estimate (662.01!!!), so we'll see...

encourage the customer to report these people to trading standards. numerous parts of what you describe are illegal.

have her consider that they may be succesfully ripping off other people, and she can help to stop them.

thinks that were illegal:-

- misleading the customer that they're the leccy board
- selling over the phone (you can only generate a lead, not commit a sale)
- extortionate pricing - though this is very difficult to stick.
- the whole "cooling off" thing is cr@p

Sponsored Links
OMG

Depending on your area i guess you halved it at least?

You think that's bad, a friend of mine has just been quoted £320 to move a single socket from one side of his lounge to the other side, and this was being done as "Cash in hand" with no certification? (Part P......Huh)

M1K3 said:
OMG

Depending on your area i guess you halved it at least?

£180. The bedroom light just needs a new lampholder, the bathroom light needs a screw.

The bonding can be done from under the floor and via the loft void (very easy permanent access in both cases), and is very straight-forward.

Regarding for the quote for supplementary bonding, i thought according to amendments in regs all electricians have to bond anyway. What i mean to say is, if he saw it had no bonding, he is supposed to do it by law?
Can anybody correct me on this as im not 100%

Ben

No, an electrician is not supposed to correct bonding when he has been called in to do a PIR.
I often rectify small problems in the process of doing an inspection as it seems churlish to screw the cover back on and quote for the work, when it takes seconds to rectify.

Its up to the person concerned as to how much he should do.

Thanks Qedelec,
I actually meant to edit my post, what i meant to say was i thought it was an NIC directive and not regs, thanks anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back