Complete rewire prices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Wonder if anyone would like to comment on how I seem to be getting some very different quotations from various electricians for a complete re-wire.

House is victorian, 5 downstairs rooms, 1 kitchen, 1 bathroom downstairs 6 bedrooms, 1 bathroom upstairs, 1 attached garage.

I asked several companies to give me a "ball park figure" just to get an idea of what I'm likely to be in for to completely re-wire.

I asked for a standard kindof job with say 1 ceiling light in each room, several sockets in each room and electric showers in both bathrooms + seperate ring for garage.

I really am quite shocked that I have had quotes ranging from just £3,000 to take about 1 week to complete, to £20,000 taking 6 weeks.
Both + VAT.

Can anyone give me a clue as to where the price would seem about right ?

many thanks for any comments anyone may have !

George

Sponsored Links
too many variables. one could have quoted brass sockets / light switches, one could be buyingh kit from b & q

how many sockets, ease of access to property, parking etc

Ballpark from me would be £7K for all white plastic accessories & 17th ed compliant cu in house.
Garage I'd quote for conduit & metal clad sockets/switches.

Sponsored Links
A lot depends on the following:-

Is the property going to be occupied during rewire - i.e. furnished and lived in as clearing up and safely replacing floorboards, carpet etc at the end of each day takes time and effort as well as restoring mimimal power.
Most expensive

Is the property furnished and unoccupied?

Medium expensive

Is the property empty

Least expensive

As a footnote I will double my price and time for completion if property furnished and occupied.

As for whether your quotes are good or not depends on if it is a straight rewire or extra accessories are required etc

Hi,

Thanks for your input & thoughts.

The house is empty, so no problems with access etc.

I didn't ask for any extras, just a basic rewire - 1 ceiling light per room, a few sockets each room, plus 2 elec. showers.

cheers,

George

If your quotes are varying that much then I belive there is a high chance that either there are cowboys involved or that you are not doing a sufficiant job of specifying what you want.

You need to decide what you want in as much detail as possible. Some basics that you need to specify

*how many sockets and where,
*how many light fittings and where.
*Any big appliances or other special requirements and so on
*If the house will be empty
*Whether you want it flush or surface and if flush if you expect them to do any making good afterwards.
*What if anything you want in the way of phone/TV/network wiring.

Then once you have a specification get several quotes but remember to check out the credentials first.

In any case please note forum rule 9

I hate to say this, but admin have removed what you think is forum rule 9, seems you can ask costs. but i agree if you cant see it you cant quote it. so i dont see the point of removing the old forum rule 9,since as we know, if you cant see it you really can not quote it, often NPs do not give all the info.

My standard answer to your question is
"about the same price as a second hand car"

It also depends on location since labour rates vary wildly from Chelsea to Rotherham.

I've just quoted for a 6 bed Edwardian in N14 London with a new loft floor being added. Each room will have 4 sockets, TV, Cat 5 and telephone cabling- the reception rooms 6 points and the kitchen 12 points.

Lighting is a mix of single, doubles, wall washers and multi switching (such as bedside and door wall).

All done to 17th, it's just under £10k based on 6 labour weeks and free access. The client is staying and his family will move out / go on holiday for the duration. The builders will make good fabric damage to walls / chases and back box busts.

Out of interest Chris, what is the cost (to you) of the materials ?

And is that just under 10K include VAT ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back