Complete newbie to DIY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys

I'm a complete newbie to DIY but now having my own house I now have to step up and start doing things.

My question is this , I have pipes running under my sink to the toilet and looks terrible, I'm looking at covering them up and have read I can box them in with plasterboard? But I have to drill wood into the wall toake a frame for the plasterboard to be drilled to , but do I just drill a screw through the wood then then the wall??? And certain screws?? The wall in the bathroom is solid would guess brick?

Sorry to sound so stupid : s

Sponsored Links
Everyone's gotta start somewhere but re-post your thread in the woodworking section of the forum and add a photo or two.

Pre drill the holes in the batten.

Hold it against the wall, stick a pencil through the holes to mark on the wall where you need to drill.

Drill holes in the wall for wallplugs (look up guides on drilling wallplugs).

Now you can just screw the batten to the wall.

If you are completely new to DIY, my main advice is... Expect to do something wrong, don't get pee'd off, just accept you cocked up and re-do it, rather than try and make a bodge work.

Pre drill the holes in the batten.

Hold it against the wall, stick a pencil through the holes to mark on the wall where you need to drill.

Drill holes in the wall for wallplugs (look up guides on drilling wallplugs).

Now you can just screw the batten to the wall.

If you are completely new to DIY, my main advice is... Expect to do something wrong, don't get pee'd off, just accept you cocked up and re-do it, rather than try and make a bodge work.

What he said - and try practice somewhere if you can! Find an old out-of-view wall and try drilling/plugging some holes! So you know what you can expect to go wrong for your proper job! (wrong drill-bit, holes not deep enough, holes to wide for plugs, screws too narrow for plugs...

good luck! DIY is really rewarding and can be done exactly to your own standards!

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard is not ideal if it may get wet.
Do you intend to tile or paint?
Painted or tiled mdf is easy to fit as no frame is required.

When you get to drilling the wall, use a masonary bit. Start slowly (if you can) without the hammer action on your drill. Keep the drill at right angles to the wall and try not to let the bit "walk". Once you've drilled through the plaser and hit the brick, you can stop the drill, switch on the hammer action and start drilling again. Make sure that you drill the hole deep enough - better too deep than too shallow.

Turn your pencil dot into a big "+" before you start so that you can still see the place after you've started drilling. You could practice behind where the batten is going...

I hold the batten against the wall and drill through it with a hss bit just deep enough to mark the walls then drill on the marks with a masonry bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back