Completely new to radiators....please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've spent all of my adult life dealing with forced air furnaces and a/c units.
now i've moved into a fairly old house and the basement, 1st and 2nd floor is heated from a boiler in the basement and radiators in all rooms.

the basement is warm at all times but i'm concerned about the radiators on the 2nd floor.

they seem to be warm only on one side of the radiator.

i looked around this site and it seems that they need bleeding but i don't see anywhere to stick a key in, nor do i have one.

what i DO have is a Vapor Equalizing Valve on the side of the radiator that is cold, it looks like a bell that goes on a bicycle, but it doesn't really look like it's meant to be turned or pressed. So I thought i'd ask for advice on here before i get started.

I haven't even seen a radiator since i lived in england as a boy so i won't be offended if you explain things to me as if i was a child.

is the VEV the same as the bleed valve?
if not, where do i bleed the radiator from?
if i do bleed the radiator and the heat spreads across it, is there a point where it is dangerous? i've heard that radiators can blow up but i'm not sure if its a wives tale or if i should be legitimately cautious.

i have tried to scan this site and apply other peoples problems to my own but maybe the terminology (stateside vs uk) is throwing me off. hopefully someone can address my specific problem.

thank you

Sponsored Links
what i DO have is a Vapor Equalizing Valve on the side of the radiator
I have never heard of this, so I did a google. It seems that they are used on steam heated radiator systems (vapor is a clue ;) ).

You will probably get more help if you tried a US based forum such as Heating Help.

i actually did pick up on that sometime later in the night. i also decided that i should start from the bottom up and learn about the boiler first, make sure everything is in order and then go to the radiators. i will check out the site you recommended though. cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back