Completion Certificate Revokation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help me

I've recently received the Completion Certificate relating to a wall I had built to an out building at the rear of the garden, however the Local Planning Authority is now threatening to have it revoked because they've since discovered that the concrete ledge I put in to build on is too thin and not in line with my original plans.

Can they revoke a Completion Certificate? And if so how? I thought one it had been issued that was that!

Sponsored Links
An outbuilding in the garden? Did you need to make a Building Regs. application in the first place?

Yeah I did, it's akin to a granny flat although not being used as such at the moment.

Local Planning Authority came to inspect after it was done and issued a completion certificate, but have now decided that as I've not stuck to the plan exactly with regard thickness of the concrete they want to revoke it.

Just want to know if they're able to do that and if so how?!

Thank you by the way

The council can still take enforcement action even if a completion certificate has been issued.

The issuing of a completion certificate is not conclusive proof that the work complies with the building regulations

Sponsored Links
Didn't BC come and look at the foundations ? I was under the impression that that was one of their inspection stages.

If they did, then they must have been happy with what was done.

But I'm unclear whether you have a BC or planning issue. I was under the impression that the foundations would be a BC issue and nothing to do with Planning.

They came round but didn't check the thickness off the foundation, basically they're saying they made an error in not checking properly and had they seen it then they wouldn't have issued the certificate.

And yes, it was BC that came round.

Was this your own build or something done as a business for someone else? If so, would your insurance cover it.

Can it be underpinned to make BC happy?

Obvious question, but why didn't you stick to your original plans?

The outbuilding/granny flat is a neighbour's property, I bought some of the land from her which meant the wall would need to be demolished and rebuilt approximately a meter back from the original wall.

And I know I should have stuck to the plans but that's in the past now, lesson learnt, I just want to know if BC can either revoke the completion certificate or otherwise force me to put it right? And if so, how are they gonna do that?

Thank you for all your replies by the way, it's very much appreciated.

Just for clarity, you knocked down an existing wall which formed part of the granny flat, made the flat smaller and replaced the wall with a new one, all part of the granny flat? Not just a garden wall which terminates at the granny flat?

The council can still take enforcement action even if a completion certificate has been issued.

The issuing of a completion certificate is not conclusive proof that the work complies with the building regulations

Can you point me to where it says this please?

Thanks

So what's the solution assuming they revoke? Underpin? Redo? Ignore and hope they don't enforce?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back