Completion Certificate Revokation

Sponsored Links
These things are often down to opinion; in your opinion, the brickwork works, in the inspector's it doesn't.
Why not do some research and try and prove the inspector wrong?

Doubtful they'll enforce, because they would have to be sure it is structurally unsound. Probably the worst that will happen is that they won't give you the bit of paper.

So as a final word on this, without any opinions on side issues such as why it wasn't done to plan etc, does anyone actually know whether the Council can take action against me bearing in mind that they issued a completion certificate, albeit in error?

Woody recons yes under s35, does everyone agree with that?

Sponsored Links
Only the council can really tell you that, if they can as it's been suggested, it doesn't mean they will. If they can't then they won't.

What you need is a plan of action if they do.

Yes, technically they can take you to court over infringement of the Building Regulations, and it's a million-pound fine and/or life imprisonment on conviction - I think.

In practice, I very much doubt they will. If they did, they would have to be as near as dammit certain that it was structurally unsound, and their engineer (or some consultant they hire) would have to be able to prove that in court.

Likewise, you could get some clever engineer to prove that it was OK. So that could put the council in a difficult - and potentially expensive - position.

I think they'll just refuse to issue the cetificate and hope that when you sell up, the delay caused by the lack of that bit of paper will teach you a lesson :LOL:

Apologies if the answer already lies within the thread but how do BC now know the foundations weren't up to spec?

Apologies if the answer already lies within the thread but how do BC now know the foundations weren't up to spec?
I think the concrete is visible as some kind of plinth.

The o.p. decided no to follow the drawing even though the end result was going to be visible.

A to why though, i don't have a clue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back