Composite door/panels replaced with inferior products under warranty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 18 months ago we had a composte door fitted with side panels, rehau profile,A rated glass,esprit doir panel, all seemed great quality.
After 4 months of compaining the diir wouldnt close properly as frame had warped they offered to replace it, this time using coupling bars instead of just a trim.
Although the new door was obviously a different make and in my eyes not as good quality we had a door we close and lock/ open so left it at that.
Door lock now diffucult to open from inside ; thumbturn slam shut type, due to frame warping again!
As usual company not returning my calls.
Had another company in to quote for window who pointed out the replacement door is not rehau profile its eurocell, no coupling bars used just H trim used, no frame packers used whole frame vibrated when closing door making it very noisy,side panels are not A rated glass and the door is a budget ranged one which i had suspected!
Can companys get away with this or would they need permission from customer to change the spec, is this the kind of thing fensa would look into?
Or is it for trading standards?

Sponsored Links
If you are having no luck contacting the supplier/installer then I would contact FENSA and trading standards.
Send copies of any paperwork you have, including emails, to both of them and ask what is your position in this matter.

Have rang citizens advice, you have to go through them now before trading standards, given me a template letter to send in.
Looked into reporting to fensa but it looks like as long as it complies to building regs they wont want to know.

Fensa won't be interested.

No glass on its own is A rated so I am going to say be wary of that second opinion. How have they tested the glass? How did they test for Low iron glass, how did they test for argon gas ? How do they know the door is ' budget range ( for what it's worth Eurocell are one of the more highly rated frames) . Did they take trims off to proof there was no metal h section.

A lot more inspection is required to determine quality of that door and glass I'm afraid. Whatever that second company have said, get it in writing ( I'll be surprised if they do), then go to original company with your report

Sponsored Links
The original glass panels had warm bar spacers in them,when i originally ordered they made a point of telling me all their a rated panels had this in them, these have metal bar spacers.
There is a 30mm gap at top of door to the lintel so can visibly see its a H trim.
I have priced up both doors as have found the website of the company that have supplied this door and frame and theres a £400 difference, maybe more if they got it at trade prices.
The main gripe with the profile is we want everything to match rather than windows rehau and panels on door eurocell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back