composting apples

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of getting a compost bin, and have lots of rotting apples rotting on the floor of the garden. I was wondering if it was ok to just chuck them into the compost bin. I imagine the bin will be swarming with fruit flies, but will there be any major problems? I was thinking about chopping them up or crushing them, before I throw them in. Is that worth doing? Any good tips on composting in general (other than don't throw all the grass clippings in) or links to useful websites? Are those tumbling bins any good? They are meant to be able to compost quicker.

Sponsored Links
anything will compost quicker if its chopped up. Dont just put loads of them all in at the same time as it will just turn to a fermenting mush! Its the same as the grass clippings. Dont put them all in at the same time, put them in as layers. All things such as egg shells, tea bags, ripped up paper, coffee grinds, fruit peelings, and other garden waste, all chopped up are good, but all in moderation. The bigger the heap the better to generate the heat it needs. Dont hide it away in a dark corner, as the heat from the sun helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back