Accelerating a Cold Compost Heap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last Summer I decided to make use of food scraps, cardboard and grass clippings by creating a compost bin. The primary reason was to avoid the annual expenditure on compost, but also because it's a better use of waste material (including all of the 'spent' compost come Autumn).

The set up is fairly simple. I created an empty box with sides made from 9" x 2" shuttering timber, with a hinged lid on the top. There are gaps between the timber to allow air flow and the front is two thirds open. We simply deposit material into the box to decompose, usually in layers of greens/browns/compost/water. I occasionally turn it.

I've noticed that the food waste is definitely decomposing, but has of course slowed down since we entered Winter. Any stuff that goes on is chopped up roughly or peeled. I would like the compost for the start of June -- does anybody know if I can speed up the process?

My gut feeling is to stop putting any more material on and add a few layers of cardboard over the top. After that I'll just keep turning it a few times a month. Does this sound like a plan?

Sponsored Links
How big is it?

Does it feel cold and wet?

Must be damp (not wet) anything nitrogen rich will speed things up.
There are special compost accelerators available but coffee grounds are good .
If you can be bothered pee in a bucket and add to heap mostly water but also about 2% urea used regularly in agriculture to add nitrogen.

Sponsored Links
I don't think it's a good idea to put food scraps in a compost bin.
I used to put uneaten bread in mine, until I realised that the little holes in the top were caused by the rats working their way up from the bottom.

You need patience with your compost heap. Of course on gardening programs they show you perfect compost done in no time.
In real life it takes about a year to get good compost.
Have you googled 'hot composting'?

My bin is the plastic type with a lid and to get at the compost there is a hatch at the bottom, I dig it out at about May/ june time from the hatch at the bottom and keep digging out and as I do the whole lot starts to slip down so I just keep digging out from the bottom until it is no longer looking composty. I usually get about 4 big trug buckets from it although the last bucket is pushing it a little to be called compost.
I don't put food scraps in it but peelings go in and I do turn it a little and keep an eye on the moisture sometimes adding some rain water. I also do from time to time add some gorotta accelerator when I give it a turn.
After I have done my dig out that is it until next May/June
Sounds like there is too much cold air around yours although it should have air for the process to work which is why I turn mine but I dont turn the very bottom.
I get ants in mine but I think they help the process.

It's always a good idea to cover the heap with sacking at this time of year - gramps would use old cornmeal sacks, but plastic will do if you don't have that kind of material to hand.

I use plastic compost bins over the allotment. In winter I usually cover the top of the compost with plastic and weight it down with bricks to compress it. In summer, if nobody is about, I wee on it.

I wouldn't compress it. Airflow is good for compost.
Agreed. although I do not disturb my bottom layer that I will be digging out and it does get compacted.
It truly is an art. "Compost husbandry"
Anyone tried a wormery ? - I haven't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back