Compound mitre saws - to slide or not to slide

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I`ve had enough of hand powered mitre machines - they never seem to give reliable results on anything bigger than a moulding!
my house is full of 7inch skirting boards and picture rails so I am looking to purchase one of these delightful machines.
use will be non trade on a variety of mouldings and skirting boards
Budget is approx £100 but may spend more, and i will buy a finer blade at the same time.
I am (nervously) considering the macallister double bevel model from b&q
which is currently around £129 (hopefully less at the tradepoint) - this model seems to offer sliding action and lots of features, including coping with my huge skirting boards
I know this machine will not cope with trade use but it does seem to be quite a solid machine....
.......I would appreciate any comments or alternative suggestions but give me 5 minutes to get my body armour on first

Oooooops just realised - this is in the wrong section - sorry Mods please could you move this to tools. sorry :oops:

Sponsored Links
unfortunatly you will be luck to get an accurate slider for less than £200 or a decent branded for less than £300

in general a slider costs 50% more than an equivilent mitre saw

To be honest, we as trade use mitre saws from DIY-sheds too, because of the price and decent quality (compared to the very expensive ones "specially" for the trade, never seem to last longer then those from DIY-sheds).
The slider is a great feature to have, makes work simpler

To be honest, we as trade use mitre saws from DIY-sheds too, because of the price and decent quality (compared to the very expensive ones "specially" for the trade, never seem to last longer then those from DIY-sheds).
The slider is a great feature to have, makes work simpler

thanks for the quick response guys

...so I think your saying go for it???? wheras big-all is saying no?

must admit I never usually buy cheap tools (false economy) but I have a few macallister tools and have been quite pleased with them - they happily built a boat without breaking. I also think that nothing seems to last like it used to anymore, no matter how much you pay

hmmm - not sure what to do now

Sponsored Links
For 7" skirting, your gonna have to have a sliding mitre saw. Regular non sliding ones will have a maximum cut across the bed of around 4"-5" max. With a slider you should be able to cut 7" without too much problems.
If you want it even cheaper, get an OAP to buy it on a Wednesday!! They get 10% off. If I need anything from B&Q, I always ask my dad to go in. ;) ;) ;)

i own three chop saws and they all slide,1 of them you would say is from the cheaper end of the market,and to be honest its a pretty decent bit of kit,now i wouldnt know how it would last on the trade front,but for occasional use go for the cheaper 1.

...so I think your saying go for it???? wheras big-all is saying no?

must admit I never usually buy cheap tools (false economy) but I have a few macallister tools and have been quite pleased with them - they happily built a boat without breaking. I also think that nothing seems to last like it used to anymore, no matter how much you pay

hmmm - not sure what to do now

more a case off you will have to take your chances on cheaper saws
you could try and stretch to £200
http://www.axminster.co.uk/viewinde...0s&source=emailclub&dm_i=5F,4Z5P,3372A,FGVQ,1

The mac allister B&Q sell has a very poor motor, if your home has a modern power supply it may trip the switch [power surge on start up] rendering it useless.They will ask you to return it if you have this problem.

screwfix sell erbauer mitre saws- these are rexxon saws that have been own branded- the erb 2501se uses a bosch motor and is a good choice for those on a budget- replace the blade when you get chance with a decet one and you wont go far wrong- in addition contrary to many peoples oppinions you can buy spares for the erbauers- jus searc nline for rexxon spares- call them if you ever need anything and they will sort i for you- all in all the erbuer is a decent machine for less than £150
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/30997...aws/Erbauer-ERB2501SE-255mm-Sliding-Mitre-Saw

...I went for the macallister one in the end I had no choice but to purchase the bigger 255mm blade machine (normally £159.00) due to lack of stock.
I am a trade point customer, but this machine had no discount on it, so the manager heavily (and I mean heavily) discounted the extra finer tooth blade I got to go with it.

...It is an awsome piece of kit - proper alloy scales and really solid. It needed very little adjustment out of the box and has already earned its keep. (i.e. it did a job a pro would have wanted at least £200 for)

I have to admit it is far too big for my requirements really but I am sure I will think of something else to use it for (it will cross cut and mitre up to 16inch wide) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back