Compound Sliding Mitre Saws - the shortlist!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Buying my first powered mitre saw and (currently, but the list keeps expanding) I have it down to between 2, which are:

Ryobi EMS254L - http://www.ryobi-direct.com/ryobi-ems254l-254mm-compound-slide-mitre-saw-c2x13922002

SIP 12" Dual Bevel Mitre Saw 230V - http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pow...IP 12" Dual Bevel Mitre Saw/d40/sd2966/p33485

My budget is £250 but might be able to squeeze to £300 and the first project involves about 300 cross cuts of 75mm machine rounded posts for a very long flower bed (they are being used upright in a retaining wall effect).

While this project is just cross-cutting, I want the flexibility from the saw to be able to mitre and bevel as I have other projects on the horizon (keen and dare I say capable DIYer rather than trade).

Also, I don't want the build quality to be poor; but I REALLY cannot afford to push my budget up to the DeWalt world.

Any thoughts on my shortlist or does anybody fancy throwing a spanner in the works with another suggestion?

Thanks.

Doug

Sponsored Links
See what I mean, it just isn't possible to make a decision!!! Seriously, thanks for the steer and I will take a look now.

Silly question perhaps, but presumably having a L only bevel doesn't really matter if you are happy enough to turn the piece of wood over if needed? In other words, it doesn't restrict the cuts I can make?

Doug

See what I mean, it just isn't possible to make a decision!!! Seriously, thanks for the steer and I will take a look now.

Silly question perhaps, but presumably having a L only bevel doesn't really matter if you are happy enough to turn the piece of wood over if needed? In other words, it doesn't restrict the cuts I can make?

Doug

Doug - have a look at the link below. Always a good idea to search for clips about any tool as there are shedloads out there. Hope it helps mate.

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/s...iN2NvBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2lyMgR2dGlkAw--?p=dw777

Sponsored Links
Great tip on video clips and that link was very helpful. The DW777 looks solid, think it may not be quite big enough for the job in hand though? Spec says 60x265mm on crosscut, but my rounds are 75mm across. I may just be misreading?

DW777 won't trench cut. Damn, was almost decided! Right, back to the original shortlist, unless there are any other spanners out there waiting to be thrown?

Doug

ok general points
the bars need to run parallel with the base with the head raised to trench
sliders tend to have the blade lower set within table to maximise the crosscut capacity
theres a fair chance you can flip the log and cut the other side but the greater the thickness over the maximum cutting depth the more it will stop the machine head dropping as it touches on the gaurd or motor housing
please be aware round can be more dangerous than flat so take extra care and fully support both halves

Thanks big-all. Would you have a preference between the 2 listed in my original post, or possibly recommend another to consider?

i am well known for singing the praises of ryobi but have never used there sliders
i personally think the ryobi looks a bit awkward with the rails above the table but think its inovative as it stop you loosing the 300mm or so in an arc behind the saw stopping you using a slider on a bench close to a wall
for example i have the dewalt 712 and from the back to front off the machine[full swing]must be around 38"/960mm
the ryoby would reduce this by around 300mm i would think

in short go for the ryobi in mho :D
although you will have a reduced flip option as the maximum height is now governed by the rail clearence

http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/4966376161577%20Sliding%20Compound%20Mitre%20Saw%20216Mm%20240V%20And%20Extra%20Blade%20Hitc8Fse%20C8Fse

Fantastic saw. People often seem to overlook Hitachi, but I have grown rather fond of them!

Cheers Phatboy. I had this one on my longlist, but I think it comes up a little short on capacity? I am cutting 75mm rounds initially, but this appears to max out at heights of 65mm; unless I am misreading/misunderstanding.

Any thoughts as otherwise that would have been on my final shortlist.

Doug

http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/4966376161577%20Sliding%20Compound%20Mitre%20Saw%20216Mm%20240V%20And%20Extra%20Blade%20Hitc8Fse%20C8Fse

Fantastic saw. People often seem to overlook Hitachi, but I have grown rather fond of them!
Have that model, paid £180 for it few years ago.Unfortunately does not cut at exactly 90 degree's is 2mm out over the length of the slider.Even after returning to Hitachi has same problem.

The Ryobi wins the day, ordered and paid for so should be with me in a couple of days.

Thanks everybody.

Doug

The good news: It arrived promptly and is factory condition.

The bad news: There are 2 parts loose in the box (see photos below):

1. The first part appears to be the plastic cover to the blade lock button:

As you can make out in the photo the plastic has broken where it fixes to the tool. I am happy to keep it, but have asked for a replacement part so that I can fix that; and

2. I am unable to identify where the second part is meant to go as it is not shown in any of the instructions (presumably because it has come loose from the tool in transit).

Any thoughts on what it is/where it has come loose from?

Doug

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back