Compression and Solvent Joints - my nightmare!

EdF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm plumbing a new barn conversion, bathroom, kitchen, cloakroom & utility. The different plastic waste pipes are driving me to depair. Got a new shower tray fitted with a trap and waste pipe, the pipe was a very small diameter, but it's been impossible to find a straight connector to match the thread on the trap. B&Q sell one for £15 with a long corrugated pipe but the thread is JUST the wrong diameter. First snarl.. Second snarl, for the utiity and kitchen I've run the 'main pipe' to the drain in solvent weld 40mm pipe. The traps are 32mm compression Ne'er the twain shall meet... Is there any way to easily convert from solvent to compression? Of course compression pipes are just a slightly different diameter to solvent pipes.. Why? Just to make life REALLY difficult!!!! Any help please, before I throw myself off the roof!

Sponsored Links
Solvent weld and push-fit pipes and fittings are different sizes to stop anyone attempting to use solvent weld fittings on push-fit pipe. The systems are made from different plastics, so solvent-weld 'glue' doesn't stick to push-fit pipe.

The various systems can usually be mated together with universal compression fittings.

Why do you need a connector to screw onto the shower trap? The threaded end of the trap is usually part of a compression union, supplied with a compression nut and washers to suit.

The threads on the compression glands of fittings are whatever takes the individual manufacturer's fancy, since the only nuts that need to fit the threads are the ones the same manufacturer supplies as part of the fitting. The only standard is the size of pipe the fitting is designed to fit.

Thanks for your reply.. Earlier at some effort I found an online site which sells 'proper' solvent to compression adaptors, so I've ordered what I require from :- http://www.bes.co.uk/

The reason I need to connect to the shower waste is as I stated above, the outlet pipe was corrugated and of a very small diameter, less than 30mm and would not cope with much water - we got the tray on the lawn and tested it with a hosepipe. As the trap was bonded on we felt we couldn't remove it without the possibility of destroying the tray. My tiler/bathroom fitter found an elbow of the right size (trap female thread to 40mm compression) in his odds & ends bin, but we needed a straight connector. No luck in any retail outlet and the B&Q one which looked right wasn't and went back for a refund this evening... Only going to jump off the dustbin now..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back