Compression to push fit ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a leak on the trap for my washing machine.It looks like the joint is leaking.The outlet hose goes to a P trap which then connects to a 90 elbow which goes outside to the drain.It looks like the the elbow is a push fit and the P trap is compression.The elbow has a 4 inch section which the p trap connects to.Is there a way of connecting them ? Is there such a thing as a push fit p trap ?
Moved into this house a couple of months ago and it hasn't leaked before and seems to have been like this a while.

Sponsored Links
Unless you have something very unusual, the p-trap will use a compression onto a piece of pipe, and the other end of the pipe will go out of the buildin - in your case via an elbow.

Somehow, I think a picture will be of help here

Traps usually have a 'universal' compression fitting to accomodate a range of different pipe sizes and materials.

It's not unusual for the rubber seal to move out of place if the compression fitting has just been pushed over the end of the pipe. I usually dismantle the compression gland and put the nut, plain washer (if fitted) and rubber seal in place on the pipe before fitting the trap.

dextrous - yes that is how it looks.
Is this how most p traps are fitted ? The seal looks ok.I have had the trap out and washed it.Should i just change the seal ?

Sponsored Links
Yep, most traps are like that - look under your sink ;) Try following TicklyT's suggestion first - compression fittings have been known to work loose and shoving the pipe back in can dislodge the rubber seal from where it's meant to be

Never thought to look under sink to compare :oops: Ill give it a whirl and see what happens. Cheers

Tried that its better but still leaking, not badly, more weeping this time.Tightened it up as far as it will go.
Should a change the trap or could it be something else ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back