Compression TRV on plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
guys,

do ordinary TRV's fit onto plastic pipe as they do normally with copper?

And I dont know if its 10mm or 15mm but also got my hands on a reducer type thing that seems to replace the 15mm olive with 2 bits and a 10mm olive in the middle. I've also got a metal (i think) insert just incase.

I've never worked with plastic before so little unsure on this. The site is miles away from my normal work place so would like to go prepared

Sponsored Links
They are fitted just the same as any other compression fitting.
Just be sure to use the correct pipe insert. If it's Speedfit, it's the plain insert without the rubber O rings.

They are fitted just the same as any other compression fitting.
Just be sure to use the correct pipe insert. If it's Speedfit, it's the plain insert without the rubber O rings.

ok thats good then

I didnt know that pipe inserts were different though :( so can you not mix different brands?
Ill be honest as of yet i have no idea what it is. I just got given a metal insert so im assuming its one of those "universal" ones LOL

thanks

Inserts are key here.

Some say you can mix different brands, so say you can't mix different brands.

I find there has been no problems as long as the inset is a snug fit and the pipe has been cut perfectly flush, oh and the nut is tightened up properly. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Some inserts might be interchangeable, but as they are only a few pence why take the risk?

If you haven't used plastic before then other things to know are:
The pipe MUST be cut with the correct cutter, using a saw or other tool will result in failures.
Inserts must be used with compression fittings, otherwise when the fitting is tightened onto the pipe, there is nothing to stop the pipe collapsing.
The pipes are marked at intervals, the way to use these is to cut the pipe at one mark, and then when the pipe is properly inserted into a fitting, the next mark will be against the end of the fitting.
If you overtighten a compression fitting onto plastic, the pipe will be destroyed, this happens far more quickly than with copper pipes.

ok thanks again for that

when i check the pipe is the brand easy to identify. Im assuming there will be many different brands therefore many different inserts and possibly difficult to find exact match

I hate plastic already :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back