Compressor Tyre Pump

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Some months ago I purchased an old Hercules bicycle that is fitted with Woods type tyre valves. Within a few weeks of getting the bike the tyres started getting soft but so far I've not been able to pump them to the correct pressure (65 psi) I've tried the normal bicycle pump and a car foot pump but only managed to get about 40 psi into them. I have a small 2.5 HP compressor and the sort of tyre pump gun they have in petrol stations. I went to a bike shop and bought an adapter which takes the valve thread to the larger diameter like a Schrader valve but this does not seem to work with the compressor gun. I think the problem is that there is nothing to press on the centre pin of the gun nozzle to let the air flow. On a car valve this pin engages with a similar pin in the valve and opens both simultaneously. Is there a different adapter available that presses on the pin in the nozzle?

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that using your 2.5 hp compressor you have a very good chance of bursting the tube. One second you will have no pressure and a few later the pressure will be excessive. I've done bike tyres with those compressors that plug into cigar lighters but you only need the compressor running for a second or 2

Woods valve ? I had to look it up! To find it was what I had on all my bikes ;) Take it apart and it might be so old there is a rubber sleeve tight over a stem inside - you have to get past that to get any pressure in it. Even if it's a later one you still have to generate more pressure in your pump to overcome the pressure in the tyre. Try a stirrup pump onto your schrader adapter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back