Compulsory smart meter!

It's interesting that the water companies don't seem to ask if you want a smart meter, they just install it. Yet gas and electricity meters have to be by way of consent. I wonder why there's a difference. One thing I would say is that the water meter is much more difficult to monitor, check or read as it's not very accessible.

Sponsored Links
One thing I would say is that the water meter is much more difficult to monitor, check or read as it's not very accessible.

My water meter is easier to read, than both my gas and electric ones - these are is cabinets outside. My water meter is under my kitchen sink.

It's interesting that the water companies don't seem to ask if you want a smart meter, they just install it. Yet gas and electricity meters have to be by way of consent. I wonder why there's a difference. One thing I would say is that the water meter is much more difficult to monitor, check or read as it's not very accessible.
I think there are less reasons for people to have concerns about water meters than electricity/gas ones (particularly electricity ones)

For a start, water meters have no 'remote cut-off' facility. Also, although I may be wrong, I don';t think that 'smart' water meters transmit 'real-time consumption' data (rather, just 'periodic' readings.

Kind Regards, John

Also, although I may be wrong, I don';t think that 'smart' water meters transmit 'real-time consumption' data (rather, just 'periodic' readings.

I have been convinced by a recent post, that more modern ones can do that.

Sponsored Links
I think there are less reasons for people to have concerns about water meters than electricity/gas ones (particularly electricity ones)
fewer :)

For a start, water meters have no 'remote cut-off' facility. Also, although I may be wrong, I don';t think that 'smart' water meters transmit 'real-time consumption' data (rather, just 'periodic' readings.
Unlike gas and electric, not being fitted on the orders of the government to control and curtail consumer consumption at certain times for some mythical objective because the U.K. has a virtually unlimited free supply of the raw material.

I don't know how the meters are read, but one of my neighbours reckoned someone walked along the pavement with a device he pointed at the cover of each meter as he passed by......not seen it myself though.
I got told that they are 'smart meters too'.

I don't know how the meters are read, but one of my neighbours reckoned someone walked along the pavement with a device he pointed at the cover of each meter as he passed by......not seen it myself though.
As I've recently written in another thread, my water meter (which I've never heard described as 'smart', but is equipped with very-short-range telemetry) appears to be read by them driving to just outside (sometimes inside!) my property and getting a reading ('wirelessly'( from there - just a dozen or two less paces than it would take them to walk to the meter and actually 'read it' :)

Kind Regards, John

Grammatical and other linguistic comments should really be reserved for Fridays :)
Unlike gas and electric, not being fitted on the orders of the government to control and curtail consumer consumption at certain times ...
Who knows about the future (I doubt that you or I will be around for long enough to discover!), but I'm not aware of any 'control or curtailment of consumption at certain times' yet, are you?

If the existence of 'smart' meters has resulted in any changes in the amount or pattern of consumption, that is currently a consequence of the ('voluntary') actions of consumers

Kind Regards, John

Grammatical and other linguistic comments should really be reserved for Fridays
The number of times you say similar about Friday makes me think Friday is a rarity.
I am surprised you write 'less' even as a mistake.

Who knows about the future (I doubt that you or I will be around for long enough to discover!), but I'm not aware of any 'control or curtailment of consumption at certain times' yet, are you? If the existence of 'smart' meters has resulted in any changes in the amount or pattern of consumption, that is currently a consequence of the ('voluntary') actions of consumers
Not yet. What else do you think the purpose of smart meters is?

I am surprised you write 'less' even as a mistake.
It's a mistake which, like many people, I often make (and have been making throughout my life)- but you are about the only person I know who feels it necessary to 'correct' it!
Not yet. What else do you think the purpose of smart meters is?
You would have to ask those who decided that they were 'required'. Unfortunately, I think they are largely 'blameless', since they were undoubtedly acting on the basis of what others had persuaded them - so I suppose it's those 'others' you would really need to ask.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back