Con artist's

Our firm often gets called out to lighting issues after a general relamp, i recall at least twice where evacuation and fire brigade have been involved.

It has even happened a few times on my work, where i have replaced a tube and starter and within 24 hours the magnetic choke has overheated, given off a burning smell and eventually tripped the circuit.

As well as sometimes fitting lamps and the lamp blowing instantly then on inspection the choke had been burnt out, likely ages before but still connected.

I now open the fitting and visually check the condition now on switch start units before relamping.

Most of our clients no longer want the old technology, so use a failed light to upgrade to led, as they know its unlikely they will get the whole premises done in one hit.
You could run off to the wholesalers return with a tube and starter, only to find the fitting dont work.

Only last week fitted 2 brand new 6ft tubes and 2 decent starters, to save a return visit, and we then report back to get upgrade authorization, only to be recalled next day anyway, to find both flashing independently, and the ends so black ended, they looked years old, job was 2 hours away, and I got there just 2 hours before they closed, so no time to upgrade to Led.

Put a further 2 tubes and starters in till the estimate approved

I disagree the customer should have been left with no light, a temporary at least should be put up.

I appreciate Sunrays dilemna, but If something went wrong, even as simple as tripping an Rcd, he could have a lot of explaining and although likely more competant than the Bufoon that attended, at least they would hopefully have some Liability insurance.
I am surprised they even let you in the premises carrying a 4 foot tube.

Sponsored Links
Sunray's posts leave me bemused. They invariably start with some edge-case issue and end with 'Sunray saved the day'

I just googled sunset/sunrise time in Kent. It showed 06:20 and 19:40. I would expect that outside these times there would be light from other rooms to give some level of illumination in the kitchen. It would also be a realistic assumption that your FIL (at 98) would be less active between sunset and sunrise.

As for costs, there was an earlier post stating this would be contractual. I am surprised that the property owner and electrical contractors are so open to give their financial details to the relative of one of their tenants.

Sunray had no authorisation to carry out electrical work and confirmed in one post that this was written in the tenancy agreement.
I try not to work these days but most of what I'm asked to is usually repeat visits where the first visit failed to find the problem or was fixed incorrectly etc. or little just jobs like customer replaced light and doesn't understand ceiling rose wiring. Just like many of the post on here.
The sunrise/set time is totally irrelevant as the kitched is internal, ie no natural light and the only light fitting in that area casts a shadow on the kitchen door which leaves the room in all but darkness. Certainly I wouldn't want to handle a kettle in there without a light.
The paperwork, which the tenant signs, is a multi carboned pad and one sheet it left with tenant.
A sheltered home implies that as far as is possible the tenants/occupiers have a home that is safe to live in.

Some low " level of illumination " may be adequate for a young person but many elderly people with failing vision require higher levels of illumination to move around safely.

If as the manager claimed there was policy to fit LED lights then a well run organisation would ( should ) have a stock of LED lamps to enable immediate restoration of lighting.

As for Sunray repairing the lamp, I totally agree with him taking the necessary action to remove the hazard of no safe level of light in the kitchen
As mentioned the 'low level of illumination' is virtually non existant And it certainly was not left in a safe state for an elderly person withmacular degeneration affecting both eyes and struggles to stay on his feet for long enough to make a cup of tea without relying on, amongst other things, a walking aid.

If the light had not been repaired I hate to think about the potential hospital visit for a fall or burns etc. Not repairing it would have left us liable under duty of care or even HASAWEA74, leaving it in darkness was not an option.

Our firm often gets called out to lighting issues after a general relamp, i recall at least twice where evacuation and fire brigade have been involved.

It has even happened a few times on my work, where i have replaced a tube and starter and within 24 hours the magnetic choke has overheated, given off a burning smell and eventually tripped the circuit.

As well as sometimes fitting lamps and the lamp blowing instantly then on inspection the choke had been burnt out, likely ages before but still connected.

I now open the fitting and visually check the condition now on switch start units before relamping.

Most of our clients no longer want the old technology, so use a failed light to upgrade to led, as they know its unlikely they will get the whole premises done in one hit.
You could run off to the wholesalers return with a tube and starter, only to find the fitting dont work.

Only last week fitted 2 brand new 6ft tubes and 2 decent starters, to save a return visit, and we then report back to get upgrade authorization, only to be recalled next day anyway, to find both flashing independently, and the ends so black ended, they looked years old, job was 2 hours away, and I got there just 2 hours before they closed, so no time to upgrade to Led.

Put a further 2 tubes and starters in till the estimate approved

I disagree the customer should have been left with no light, a temporary at least should be put up.

I appreciate Sunrays dilemna, but If something went wrong, even as simple as tripping an Rcd, he could have a lot of explaining and although likely more competant than the Bufoon that attended, at least they would hopefully have some Liability insurance.
I am surprised they even let you in the premises carrying a 4 foot tube.
The complex isn't a prison, in fact the manager covers 2 properties and wasn't there at the time the only other staff are part time cleaner [ for communal areas] and gardner.
I understand your comments and have experienced pretty much everything there, additionally I once fitted a new tube in a fitting, turned it on and the tube exploded, showering glass.
The McKenzie fitting was installed when the kitchen was refitted summer '19 or possibly '18, looks clean inside & doesn't smell [yes I did those checks before fitting new parts]. After I did the replacement FIL stated all the the sparks did was turn the light on, watched it flassh several times and switched it off.

The CU is in the flat so no worries on that front and I do of course have insurance, which I'd hope would be applicable.

I've suggested to manager it's left as is, the appointment for replacement is tomorrow [Wednesday].

Sponsored Links
The complex isn't a prison, in fact the manager covers 2 properties and wasn't there at the time the only other staff are part time cleaner [ for communal areas] and gardner.
I understand your comments and have experienced pretty much everything there, additionally I once fitted a new tube in a fitting, turned it on and the tube exploded, showering glass.
The McKenzie fitting was installed when the kitchen was refitted summer '19 or possibly '18, looks clean inside & doesn't smell [yes I did those checks before fitting new parts]. After I did the replacement FIL stated all the the sparks did was turn the light on, watched it flassh several times and switched it off.

The CU is in the flat so no worries on that front and I do of course have insurance, which I'd hope would be applicable.

I've suggested to manager it's left as is, the appointment for replacement is tomorrow [Wednesday].
So the second electrician turned up at 8am today [Friday] only 2 days late, armed with an IP66 rated fitting [FIL say it was the only thing he could read on the cardboard box] turned the light on and asked why he was replacing it, he left without changing it after a couple of minute chat to move on to another job in the building.

Speaking to the manager at lunch time there is no charge for the visit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back