Concealed shower vale, ceiling mounted head and speedfit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am re-fitting my en-suite which currently has an electric shower, but intend to fit a concealed mixer shower with the shower head ceiling mounted.

I intend to run the hot and cold feed from the existing basin up into the loft space and down the stud where the shower will be sited, so can easily fit isolating valves along each run. The outlet will go back up the cavity of the stud, into the loft, and connect to the ceiling mounted shower arm/head. I'm using speedfit because of the low roof height in the loft - it's right at the base of the trusses where they meet the wall.

My questions are:

Is it OK for me to plumb it as I have described?

Should I terminate the speedfit before the shower valve and shower head and run the last 18 inches or so in copper, or is the speedfit OK with the inserts?

Should I use a tap connector or whatever to connect to the shower arm/head? I believe most of these arms have a 1/2 inch BSP thread, but obviously want a good seal with no loss of pressure or flow rate.

Does anyone know how these shower arms fit to the ceiling - is there a fixing nut, or does it rely on the strength of the pipe/fitting

any help would be great

Sponsored Links
Is it OK for me to plumb it as I have described?

i take it its a mains pressure system you have ?

Should I terminate the speedfit before the shower valve and shower head and run the last 18 inches or so in copper, or is the speedfit OK with the inserts?

speedfit straight to the shower with inserts.

Should I use a tap connector or whatever to connect to the shower arm/head? I believe most of these arms have a 1/2 inch BSP thread, but obviously want a good seal with no loss of pressure or flow rate.

useally a nut/olive on ceiling mounted ones or use a female iron.
show us a pic of it will help.
Does anyone know how these shower arms fit to the ceiling - is there a fixing nut, or does it rely on the strength of the pipe/fitting

got its own fixings they never rely on the pipe to hold them.

you can use these connections if your using plastic to connect to your shower arm.

chl100_75.jpg

p1055498_x.jpg

Sponsored Links
Great - thankyou very much.

Last question - do these fittings have a rubber washer to help provide a seal, or is it a case of PTFE tape on the threads, or both.

Tap connectors have a parallel thread, and use a sealing washer against a flat face. the thread is often in a loose nut on the fitting.

'Iron' fittings have a tapered thread. They are usually made in one piece (ignoring the compresion / pushfit / whatever on t'other end). They are meant to be sealed by packing the thread with PTFE etc.

That's what I thought with the iron type fittings.

Is there a rule of thumb regarding how many wraps of PTFE to put on the threads, and should it be even along the full length, or more tape at one end or the other?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back