How to plumb in a ceiling mounted rainshower head?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am trying to plumb in a rainshower head via connection in the loft.

The plastic pipe for the feed from the thermostatic valve is already in place.
My thoughts are that this pipe needs cutting to size, at the appropriate point, and then use a speedfit elbow to connect into another section of plastic pipe, to be laid horizontally across the joists (notched in) to where it needs to meet the shower head fitting.

I created this noggin onto which I mounted a speedfit brass elbow, which has the push fit connector on one side (covered in foil atm)
Thoughts being that the vertical rainshower arm will attached directly to this, in the 1/2 brass thread.

1686379496765.png

This photo shows the feed pipe on the right, and on the left you can see the above noggin roughly in place (the above foil covered speedfit end just visible).
The elbow is quite near to the ceiling (overboarded lathe and plaster), so it's quite awkward to get at.

1686379586682.png

Here's the actual rainshower arm. Note that it was previously installed elsewhere (I am the second owner).
My guess is that it was a brazed fitting before, onto the copper pipe shown.
It has quite a robust brass mounting attachment, which has been screwed onto the chrome arm via the standard 1/2 thread.

1686379733234.png

My question is whether to -

1. Go with my initial idea, which I think would require removing the "robust" brass section from the arm, to reveal the standard 1/2" thread, and so screw that directly into the speedfit elbow on the noggin I have created

OR

2. Keep the fitting as show on the arm, which seems much sturdier for mounting, but then how do I connect the copper pipe to the feed? Is there a connecting elbow product available, which could be brazed onto the copper pipe, but which also has a speedfit connector for the horizontal plastic pipe towards the feed?

So I am reaching out to understand what a professional plumber would do in this situation?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and for any advice

Sponsored Links
1. I wouldn't notch those joists, they don't look big enough.
2. If that top pipe is 15 mm diameter, I'd be tempted to clean it up with Scotchbrite, then use a push fit 90 degree connector on it.
3. If the top pipe isn't 15 mm, then unscrew the chromed section. If the thread is 1/2" BSP male, screw into wall plate elbow as you intend. Will need sealing. I'd suggest Loctite 55.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back