Concealed Toilet Cistern upgrade issue.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm after a bit of help please. I am redecorating a small en suite shower room. There is a back to wall toilet and a concealed cistern. The internals of the cistern were badly damaged by limescale so I decided to replace the internals. I purchased a Fluidmaster fill and flush valve kit to replace the old ball valve type.

I fitted them perfectly however the instructions state the Critical level ark on the inlet valve must be at least an inch above the flush valve overflow pipe. Unfortunately I can only get it about half an inch above due to the work surface above.

Would it be ok if I cut a small amount off the bottom screw thread of the flush valve? This will lower the flush valve slightly giving me that extra half inch needed between critical level ark and overflow pipe.

Can someone let me know if it is ok to do this or perhaps advise me on what I should do.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Providing the bell float is adjusted, so the fill level is 25mm below the overflow inlet, you will be fine, you should not have to cut off anything.
Make sure the bell float has an unobstructed movement and things will be grand.

Hi PBoD,

There is no ball float (I assume you mean that?) with this kit. It was actually one that you sent me a link to at screw fix in an earlier post.

I've added a pic to show you what I mean. As you can see the inlet valve (far right) is at the top of the cistern and I cannot raise it any higher as it will not fit under the worktop. The overflow pipe on the fill unit is adjustable but is already at the lowest point so i'm a bit stuck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back