Concealed cistern, replacing the flush valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,

The flush valve on my bog cistern is sticking open, I believe it is the switch for some reason placing too much tension on the cable and jamming it open as without the switch on the cable the valve closes properly. Regardless, I don't think I can change it separately so it all needs replacing (valve, and cable flush switch).

I essentially have one of these in a wooden box behind the toilet:
XTY006-l.jpg

Inside is a canister valve very much like this, which is plumbed directly to the white pipe coming from the bottom of the cistern:
6fbc.jpg

So.... The cistern tank and fill valve are fine, the flush valve is knackered. I've seen similar replacement valves in screwfix etc, but I don't know how the bottom part of the flush valve would attach to the curved white pipe coming out of the bottom of the cistern.

Are there differences in the flush valves depending on whether you have a cistern attached directly to the toilet pan or if you are planning to attach it to a concealed cistern with a pipe connecting to the toilet pan?

i.e. if I buy this (or similar, links appreciated!):
http://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-push-button-dual-flush-valve/1266f

How much of a pita will it be to fit to my existing cistern?

Sponsored Links
Going back to the photo of the valve, if you twist the main centre section it will disconnect just below where the Red square is leaving the lower section in the cistern so remove it and take it with you to an proper plumbers merchant and they might be able to match the valve.

It's a standard fitting. If the cistern is directly attached there is a doughnut, otherwise in your case, a compression fitting which you can probably re-use.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies all.

I can't find the exact valve online, the pic is very similar but slightly different, which leaves me with replacement.

In terms of the compression fitting connectig the flush pipe to the flush valve, if mine gets damaged on removal, where does one find a replacement? Do I need to apply sealant to it or anywhere else? Plumber's mait?

Cheers!

Thanks for the replies all.

I can't find the exact valve online, the pic is very similar but slightly different, which leaves me with replacement.

In terms of the compression fitting connectig the flush pipe to the flush valve, if mine gets damaged on removal, where does one find a replacement? Do I need to apply sealant to it or anywhere else? Plumber's mait?

Cheers!
https://www.mytoiletspares.co.uk/cistern-spares/flush-valves-inlet-valves-seals-washers.html

Try looking here.

Quarter turn to remove the flush valve, remove from cistern, remove sealing washer and turn over, then refit.

9/10 it solves the passing of water.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back