Concealing cables for TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to hang a TV on the wall and have a unit on the floor which will house the Sky Unit and DVD Player. I want the cables between the TV and this unit to be concealed. The wall will be papered and I can dig out any channels beforehand.

I was thinking about putting in some ducting/trunking that allows me to push through a few HDMI cables and a draw string for any future cables. I can then skim this in and level the wall. I've seen some brush outlets that I can use on the cable entry points - not that they will be visible anyhow.

Can I have some advice on this approach please and also which type of ducting should I be using?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
another option is just a panel that matches the wall surface that is the width of the TV, between the tv and unit.
far easier to get rid of.
Don't put the TV too high.
most people do

I've recently done this and used a 40mm solid trunking into the wall between two back boxes. I cut the top and bottom respectively of the back boxes and then brush plates to finish. Everything plastered over the top. My advice would be not to underestimate how much you need to take out to run a 40mm trunking into the wall, it is quite deep!

And I echo the advice to not hang too high, you don't want to be looking up when you are sitting on your sofa.

Sponsored Links
I've done this a few times using 50mm d line trunking from screwfix.

Regs say your not supposed to have power cables in the same trunking as the other cables, I've never had an issue doing it but it is how the regs are written

How wide was your trunking? I was thinking of popping through a few HDMI cables and an ethernet cable
40mm, something like this.

I have had 3 HDMIs, 1 optical and 1 aerial coax through it with no problem. No need for a draw string, I have had everything out of it whilst redecorating and then just fed it all back through again.

I thought that a flat and wide trunking with a removable cover would make it easier to fix to the wall. If there is some value in that...

You could use two lengths of YT4 trunking side by side buried in the wall, with a single metal 25mm knockout box top and bottom.

The knockout box will need it's top/bottom neatly hacked out and filed smooth.

I have also used an unusual 30x50mm trunking, but it seems a rare size.

Thinking of using this and terminating it into metal sockets with the bottoms cut out and edges filed. I can then have brush outlets screwed on top

Will channel into the wall and then use a few coats of easifill to set it in and smooth out.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Seems far too big for your needs to me. What thickness is the wall?

I would have preferred slightly less in depth but can’t see anything that I can pick up locally

Vertical chases are limited to 1/3 the depth of the blockwork. !00mm block would be a max 33mm deep chase.

Vertical chases are limited to 1/3 the depth of the blockwork. !00mm block would be a max 33mm deep chase.
That's very helpful to know. How about 2 of these?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back