Concealing gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently looking at buying a property. There is one thing I have noticed (we are nowhere near the survey stage yet). The gas pipe enters the house at floor level just beside the front door, then is immediately routed around the frame of the new door leading from the hallway to a side extension, before disappearing under the stairs beside the second tread. This is rather unsightly but I believe I can conceal it effectively by boxing it in and turning this into a slightly oversized decorative door surround.

Is this acceptable and would I need to make it clear that a pipe is concealed within the moulding? It would appear to me that the current routing was a quick way of making space for the new doorway when the extension was built.

Sponsored Links
the same question was recently asked & batted into touch - have a look at the board rules no.10

boxing/ducts having a csa of less than 0.01m2 do not require any ventilation it is considered adventitious ventilation is enough

no rules about direction in boxing / ducts (that i can find )

would not be a bad idea to mark in some way up to you

so you should be ok

:idea:

Sponsored Links
Maybe we need a bit of clarification regarding what constitutes gas work. I'm not talking about re-routing a pipe or burying it in the wall. In fact, no part of either the pipe or its bracketing will be touched in any way.

Sorry Kev, I wasn't criticising your comments. My reply was a general one.

I genuinely would like to know where the line is drawn between actually working on gas installations and doing work which may affect visibility of pipework etc - for example if I put in a new kitchen unit which hides previously visible pipework.

Yes, forum rules say no DIY gas work, but if you have a blanket ban on ANYTHING related to gas then I suspect that this might mean important information may not be available to those who are tempted to carry on regardless. Personally I would not dream of messing with any part of the gas supply - frankly gas scares me, hence my original question - I want to do the job properly without creating a hazard. I think that in this particular case it would be fairly obvious where the pipe is running and it would not be too difficult to put on a clearly visible but unobtrusive label. I was simply asking whether this would infringe any regulations. Surely it is better for me to do this with sensible advice than to make assumptions in the absence of such information and do the job anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back