Concentric Flue & Wind

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm curious ... What stops the wind blowing down these newer types of concentric flues and blowing the gas out?

You've guessed that I'm not a Corgi RGI :LOL:

Older terminals had a solid face in front of the outlet running parallel to the outside wall so the wind couldn't blow straight down the flue.

These newer ones don't and I have a morbid curiosity to know why it all works ;)

MW

Sponsored Links
and you dont have (on most modern ones) the problem of a pilot light either

The area of the inner and outer section are very similar, the outer part is the inlet, the inner part is the outlet. If the boiler fan is not running the wind forces against the inlet and outlet equally, so there is no actual flow of wind through the boiler (unless there is a leaking seal on the boiler). Simlarly when the boiler is running, any wind equally pressures the inlet and outlet, so the fan runs as normal. They used to be more commonly known as balanced flues.

Sponsored Links
I'm impressed with the simplicity and it obviously works :LOL:

Thanks all

MW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back