Concern about level of corrosion to bath outlet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to try to replace this leaking bath waste but I am concerned that the level of corrosion might make such plans futile. I intend to remove the waste and give the bath outlet a good wire-brushing and apply some suitable paint (Hammerite?). Is it possible, though, that the bath may be beyond repair?

IMG_3732.JPG

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Give us a pic with the waste removed and wire brushed, if you can.....silicone will fill a multitude of rust pockets if you need it to.
John :)

Burnerman: To be frank, John, when I looked at this a couple of weeks ago I did not think it looked too bad so I did not get around to removing the waste – I should say that it is at a friend’s property . It was only when I put the pic on the computer that I realised how intense the corrosion appears. Would you treat the metalwork with any kind of primer beforehand or just plunge in with the silicone?

Tigercubrider: Thanks, TC, but could you tell me how long an application takes to dry and how many coats? I know this is probably difficult to gauge from what can see in the photo.

Cheers, chaps.

Sponsored Links
If the steel isn't too pitted and still all there, to do it so it lasts > wire brush > kurust > leave to dry as long as possible (cple of hours or as long as MI mentions) > 1 coat of hammerite and dry again as long as MI mentions before using a little silicone to re-seal waste.

Just to be clear- Krust is the converter

A couple of hours is fine

You'd get it in Halfords or similar. It converts rust to a stable material and stops further

Suppose he gives it a good wire brushing and it all flakes away and can't be resealed? If it was my friend's bath I wouldn't be volunteering.

Of course, only proceed as long as your friend is aware of the ramifications if it's too corroded to re-seal.

Thanks for all of the advice, guys. As I said just observing under the bath with a lamp was not so revealing as when looking more closely on the monitor. I realise that it looks pretty severe. I notify matey of said concern and keep you informed of the outcome. Thanks, again.

well that surprises me.

The manufacturer is the same, and the two documents were produced on consecutive days. Until seeing them, I would have guessed from the look of the packaging that it was the same product with a different name, but you are right, the ingredients appear to be very different.

I have always found Kurust to be a superior product, so, in your position, I would try to find a supplier with some on the shelf. If there is some other paint or motor accessory shop nearby they may have some. I will take care of the jar I have at home.

Order online at John's link, get it delivered to your local halfords and pick it up .... simples

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back