Concerned about new shower tray - water build up in the corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Mrs wanted a lovely flat walk-in shower tray. At only 25mm thick, there isn't much slope on the tray to direct the water to the waste. Looking at some of the reviews for this tray online, others are also having this problem. When fitting the tray, I had to lean it slightly towards the back wall to help the flow. This caused the tiles to not be level around the bottom so I had to apply a thick bead of silicone to cover them all up.

While showering there is a build-up of water in the corner of the tray up the wall about 16mm.

I am concerned about the grout soaking in the water or if the silicone was to crack, a major leak which I cannot afford to happen. Behind the tiles is Ardex waterproofing kit, but I am still nervous.

I have set the water flow down to 7L per minute (was 16L) on the shower but this hasn't helped.

I am going to fit this in the walk-in part of the tray to prevent water flowing out.

What can I do to help prevent any leaks where the water is building up in the corners of the tray?

Thank you all.

PLEASE EXCUSE THE HAIRS LOL I DRY MYSELF IN THE SHOWER AND THEY SHED!

20200407_182350943_iOS.jpg 20200407_182401573_iOS.jpg 20200407_182409259_iOS.jpg

Sponsored Links
You have not installed correctly , waste has to be installed on rear wall not side or front. Should also be installed level . It’s unsuitable for the position you have installed it in .

You have not installed correctly , waste has to be installed on rear wall not side or front. Should also be installed level . It’s unsuitable for the position you have installed it in .
I am not sure what you mean? The waste is install on the rear wall.

There are two walls, there is literally no other way to install it unless the waste is on the glass side which would be the front... Are you looking at all the images?

The white bit on the left is corrugated white floor protector as a temporary glass screen. The side closest to the camera and the left are into the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
It’s designed for shower with three walls , long edge without drain to front , can’t see that it pics?

Have you installed your tray level? In order to achieve the correct gradient into the waste the edges of the tray must be fitted level, not leaning towards the back wall or in any other direction. Your waste pipe can affect flow rates and 40mm pipe should have been used, again with attention given to the correct gradient.To be honest I think it is the design of the grate that is causing the problem.. i had a similar problem with an Impey grate after fitting a wet room. The slots around the side were not large enough to allow the volume of water to escape quick enough and water built up inside the shower area. Changing the removeable grate to the 2nd image solved the issue. Have you tried showering with the grate removed?

Attachments

• 20190720_170250.jpg
    20190720_170250.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 286
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 273
Have you installed your tray level? In order to achieve the correct gradient into the waste the edges of the tray must be fitted level, not leaning towards the back wall or in any other direction. Your waste pipe can affect flow rates and 40mm pipe should have been used, again with attention given to the correct gradient.To be honest I think it is the design of the grate that is causing the problem.. i had a similar problem with an Impey grate after fitting a wet room. The slots around the side were not large enough to allow the volume of water to escape quick enough and water built up inside the shower area. Changing the removeable grate to the 2nd image solved the issue. Have you tried showering with the grate removed?

I actually fitted the tray twice. The first time was perfectly level and when I turned the water on to test it, it poured out the front and sides like a waterfall. I lifted it and fitted it leaning slightly to the back wall where the drain is. This improved the flow but obviously now there's build up in the corner.

The waste pipe is 40mm for approx 6m run I installed myself with a healthy gradient.

There isn't any improvement if I shower without the grate :(

Unfortunately due to the design of the tray, and being 25mm high in total, there is barely any slope towards the drain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back