It is my first time posting and I am hoping I can get some advice as I am a worried tenant and I would like to seek knowledge from those in the building industry.
The flat we are renting had a chimney in the past which was covered (by concrete i believe) and there is a vent. I noticed that my son, who had his table close to the vent, would cough shortly after being in close proximity to the vent. So i thought maybe dust had clogged the ventilation and decided to remove the vent to clean it. However, upon opening it, I found a very rough hole and it seems like the material was insulated with a layer of a dark grey fibrous material. I am terrified this could be asbestos as we would all have been exposed to it. I have sent a sample for testing and I have contacted our landlord and the surveyor who has said the ventilation was installed properly but that if im concerned they can arrange asbestos testing.
so my question to you is, is this the way its supposed to look or is this a job poorly done? If it contained asbestos, or other hazardous insulating fibres, would it not have to be blocked in some way to ensure it doesnt escape and enter our flat?
i would highly appreciate any advice on this as I am very anxious currently.
thank you in advance