Concerns about support for a DHW tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently moved to a new house with gravity fed hot water system.

I'm concerned that the hot water cylinder, which is located in an airing cup board, off the landing above the stairs, may not be supported properly. From what can I see it's sitting on short pieces of 2x4, which in turn are sitting on what appears to be some thin plywood. I've attached some photos which hopefully should show this better.

The plywood is warped under the weight of the tank and there are signs of previous water damage to it's surface. When I knock the top of the plywood I can't identify any points which would suggest that there are any supports underneath.

The tank itself is also leaning against the wall of the left hand side, and the attached pipework on the right has become free from it's pipe clips, which makes me think that over time the tank is moving.Also the angles of the pipework all seems to be suggesting that the tank has suffered some downward movement.

I'm sure that the tank isn't going to fall overnight, however my primary concern is that if a leak develops then the plywood (if unsupported from below) could be weakened leading it's collapse.

I would really appreciate some advise on this. I've never liked gravity fed systems and so had thought about having a combi at some point, however I was planning on waiting until this system required replacing.

(I know that without proper inspection no one can actually tell me for sure that it is safe)

If I needed to have the cylinder removed and the supporting platform made good, would anyone be able to provide a ball-park figure of how much this would cost - it may make more sense to simply go for a combi if this were the case...

Many thanks in advance.

Matt.

Attachments

• 20180107_163851.jpg
    20180107_163851.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 20180107_163901.jpg
    20180107_163901.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 20180107_163917.jpg
    20180107_163917.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would be draining that tank very quickly!

You are right to be concerned.

can you remove the ply from the front to access beneath the tank?

Thanks for your replies.

I cut a hole in the front panel to see what was supporting the ply. I was relieved to see that there was no water damage to the underside of the ply which appeared to be about 10mm thick.

I would have liked to see some support framework across the middle of the sheet.

It's difficult to see, but the ply has taken a 'bowl' shape form under the weight of the tank - do you feel this is normal?

Matt.

Attachments

• 20180108_190205.jpg
    20180108_190205.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 20180108_190239.jpg
    20180108_190239.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 71
Sponsored Links
How are the bottoms of those diagonal timbers supported?

They are attached to the joists forming the ceiling of downstairs / floor of upstairs.

You may be able to just fit a more substantial cupboard floor above the existing ply, and slide it in.
Issues include whether the supports underneath are really strong enough, how to work around the pipes that need to pass through it, etc.
The horizontal batten supporting the back of the floor seems to be nailed into the blockwork; how strong is that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back