Concreate over slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a 5 foot covered passageway between my house and so called out buildings , so brick work one side existing concrete slab the other which is at the highest point is a 5 inch step-down to 1 inch so I want to take the slope from the front back to to the back back door and level it up with the existing slab . The current floor is slabs 3x2 with a foot edge of cement . to the house wall .

how much of this do I Have to rip up , befor I can concert it over, calculator says I need .75 Mtr . do I need a joint between the existing concreat, or dowel bars or mesh the weight it will take is people and the occasional barrow i'm well below the house DPC

Sponsored Links
The greatest fear when adding layers of concrete is trapping moisture between layers and it subsequently freezing in poor weather. It is sometimes better to put a hammer through the slabs and break 'em up.

I would say 75mm thick concrete is about as thin as you should go.

The greatest fear when adding layers of concrete is trapping moisture between layers and it subsequently freezing in poor weather. It is sometimes better to put a hammer through the slabs and break 'em up.

I would say 75mm thick concrete is about as thin as you should go.

Sorry to be a pain , as it's damp enough out there would it be better if i lifted the slabs and put a DPC under the concrete I do know there is hard core under them ?

No need for dpm.

Damp is not an issue more to with water being trapped between impervious layers, though temp's have to be really low for it to be a problem in this country.

Sponsored Links
Thanks so no re bar or suchlike , I should know all this 25 yeas ago i was contracts manager for RPC mind never pored a spade full of the stuff but good with bar marks LOL , Is it ok just to poor up the existing slab

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back