Concret panel garage - cracks and leaks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning everyone,

Looking for some advice re a concrete panel garage please.

We recently bought this house and the detached garage appears in need of some maintenance. The sealant between the concrete panels appears to have cracked and chipped away in sections, which is letting in water.

Whats the best stuff to reseal with? Can I just put it over the existing stuff or should I remove as much as possible first?

Cheers

Sponsored Links

Attachments

• 20201029_095722.jpg
    20201029_095722.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 336
Rake as much of the old sealant out as possible......with mine, its silicone on the outside and I foam the gaps on the inside.
Water ingress through the bottom of the panel where it touches the raft was a huge issue for me, so I laid a concrete screed about 11/2” thick inside. That sorted it!
John :)

Sponsored Links
RonnieRM, good evening, again.

OK it looks like a "Marley" sectional garage.

The joints are simply a mastic, but a fairly wide Mastic.

As John above remove the badly failed areas and new mastic

Ken.

Thanks for the advice Know what's needed now, waiting game for dry weather to get the job done i guess....could be a while up here in the Highlands!!

I know what you mean,

With what we have going on now, it may be next May??

We'll be lucky, feels like it has rained non stop for months now. That good weather during lockdown seems so long ago!

Same here mate, mine has been plagued with ivy and it has a nastily rusting tin roof so plenty of scope there! Bodging it for a few months then new roof sheets in the spring.
John :)

Ideally I'd knock it down and replace with a timber one. Unfortunately its connected to neighbours and we've just spunked a load of cash inside the house so it'll have to wait.

Asbestos concrete roof on the bugger aswell.

Quick fix to stop the water then maybe next year rip it down.

Ideally I'd knock it down and replace with a timber one. Unfortunately its connected to neighbours and we've just spunked a load of cash inside the house so it'll have to wait.

Asbestos concrete roof on the bugger aswell.

Quick fix to stop the water then maybe next year rip it down.

My 24 x 12 garage is of that type - it has never been sealed between the panels and there has never been any ingress because of it. The panel edges are all tongue and groove, perhaps that is the difference?

Like John, I do suffer ingress via the slab. I made the error of setting the slab a fraction too low, when I laid it out 40 odd years ago, that plus the slab settlement and garden rising, meant that when there is a lot of rain, I get a wet floor. It only just does wet the floor. A temporary solution over the years, has been to add a fillet of cement like a dam, inside along the bottoms of each panel, but only struck to the floor/ not the panels.

My long term fix, if I ever get a roundtuit, like John is to screed the slab over.

Replace the asbestos with box section steel panels, galv then painted, they last and are easy to work with.

I removed asb/cement sheets and fitted a timber roof with e d p m to seal it. and UPVC fascia

Cost of materials was less than a quote to fit new plastic sheets.
I now have no condensation dripping and its much warmer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back