concrete (asbestos?) wall panels - garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I already know my garage (built mid-late 80's) has asbestos in the roof sheets, however are the concrete panels that make up the walls (rectangular sections bolted together) likely to contain asbestos or not? I would like to drill screw holes to hold up some brackets and don't want to trust hard as nails as the things on the bracket will be right beside my car.

Sponsored Links
Expect your drill bits to knacker easily when doing this as the walls have stones in too. Also expect it to flare out with a bigger hole on the outside should you go all the way through.

It may be better to drill from the outside in and use bolts all the way through (with the appropriate gunge to stop leaks).

Those panels are not really thick enough to get a good fix on anyway.
Usually there is a bit of excess thread on the bolts holding them on can you use the bolts to fix a timber panel to the wall and fix on that?

No asbestos in the concrete panels, but plenty of reinforcing bars in the edges!
I drill through the join of the two panels.....the drill does tend to snatch but you can get a bolt through with a good washer under the head.
John :)

Sponsored Links
thanks guys, i was going to drill from inside but through the ribs/spines or whatever they're called i.e. the thicker vertical sections that appear every few inches, using screws that are short enough not to go straight through and raw plugs? didn't think about the larger stones and potential metal reinforcement though must admit!

suppose i could do something like secure small wood panels to concrete (larger surface area) with loads of hard as nails then secure brackets to that with screws, thus avoiding drilling at all?

Drill and fix a sheet of ply to wall then anything can be screwed to it with ease.

Seriously, I think you'll find the rebar in the way but there's nothing to stop you giving it a go....
Footprints recommends using the panel flange bolts, and that's a good move if you don't want to drill through......you can also replace those bolts with longer ones and try to cobble up something from there.
You will be able to drill through the thin panel areas but the concrete will burst to some degree when the drill exits. You can get by with large diameter washers over the bolt head though.
John :)

i think some of the pre-drilled holes to hold panels together are empty i.e. bolts used every second hole. so i've decided to hard as nails some 2x2 to the wall, put long screw/bolt through a free hole into side of 2x2 for extra support should hard as nails ever fail. will then screw brackets to 2x2. this should hold and avoids any drilling etc.

thanks again all

When your looking for where to put a hole, step back and consider how you would make the concrete panel and where you would put the rebar in it for strength. Like atthe edges/corners etc.

And then drill your hole somewhere else :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back