Concrete AND wooden fence posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I've got a run of fencing to renew and I really wanted to get concrete posts, mainly because we've been plagued by high winds for the last few winters.
My problem is that about 1/3 of my garden and the (terraced) garden next door is concrete, and their side is stepped up by about a foot because of a hill. 4 of the current wooden fence posts are fixed using bolt-down feet and the other wooden posts are in the earth using metpost spikes and also have gravel boards. All the fence panels are 6 footers.

Also, one of the bolt-downs was sheared by a storm and 2 of the bolts tore out of the concrete (currently supported by a spur)

2 Questions - is it daft to have a run of 4 wooden posts (on the concrete) and the remainder (in the earth) as concrete posts - so that one panel is fixed at one end to a wooden post and the other slotted into a concrete post?

Also, now that the problem bolt-down is torn out of the concrete, would you think that with a decent concrete filler, that that spot would be strong enough to have a fixing bolted back down into it?

I can't think of any way of fixing concrete posts to a concrete surface other than with some serious work and I don't think that my neighbour (or my wallet) will approve.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Having part concrete posts and the other part wooden is fine. Might look funny though.
And with the damaged concrete, if you can't bolt as it was, you can just hit it with a pickaxe/breaker to ge make a hole, then slot the post in and concrete around as normal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back