Concrete base for shed, what are the options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, we're about to build a 12x7 wooden shed, for my workshop. We need to build a concrete base with DPM... Or unless you know of another way, please suggest.

If we do build a concrete base;

Do you know how high this base should be? (6" from ground ideal?)

And how high above ground should the damp proof membrane be fitted? (2" from ground ok?)

Any advice or tips as well? We have not built a base before. It has to be damp proof because of all my tools & equipment, it will be insulated with polystyrene panels inside too.

Can you also please advise how much sand/cement will be required? And roughly how much it will cost? Do we use chippings/slate as well when mixed?

Thank You for any help

Sponsored Links
A good tip for your concrete........... check how much ready mixed concrete will cost you delivered.

Wish I had as it would have been a few quid cheaper and saved me a lot of mixing by hand. :(

yeh, I was planning on having it delivered. mate works in tp.

cost £15 to rent a mixer as well (for 1 day).

edit, oh you mean already wet and ready? can they do that? where will be stored though? or do they pour it in the hole themselves. :?:

They deliver it onto your drive (put down a sheet) and then you barrow it round to its intended location.

Try not to leave it too long on your drive though. ;)

Sponsored Links
thanks, so its a dry mix, but i still have to mix it yeh?

and what is ideal, (and cheapest possible)

(1:) 6" solid concrete base

or

(2:) 2" solid concrete base with wooden beams?

ah cool, that would be better, won't have to mix it then, save me back :)

should I get the ready mixed stuff that has bits of stones in it, or just plain mix?

thanks for helping

ps, travis perkins/trademate is the cheapest? i seen another company that uses a squirrel as their logo, but forgot the name.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back